Chapter 7: Arguing for the Better

Chapter 7

Arguing for the Better

Ariana

I was to bitterly stay in the hospital for at least another day. For safe keeping, or so they told me. After I had fallen asleep, awkwardly holding a stuffed animal in my arms, curled up in my onesie, I woke up feeling in general a lot better. The fever had finally broken, and my head didn't hurt so much anymore. My appetite unfortunately hadn't quite come back though. (Which made me groan because he would sit and make me eat more than I felt like I could.)

Alec had kept his promise and was sticking around. He was working from the hospital room. The nurses had brought him a cot to sleep on. At one point I told him he didn't have to stay. But then he pointed out that I had asked him to. I was delirious though... but, deep down I didn't want him to leave.

At one point I had come to the realization that I hadn't informed work that I was sick or what was going on. I panicked and coughed and Alec told me that it was fine, he had already informed them. It was like he had thought of everything.

All I did was sleep at the hospital. I was always just so tired. It was the evening of what was to be my last day in the hospital. I would be discharged in the morning. I was sending messages to my friends in Japan as I sighed.

"is something the matter?" Alec asked, looking up to me from the chair and desk he was working at. He had a pair of glasses sitting on his nose. I shook my head.

"I'm just happy to be going home tomorrow," I reply. "I miss my cat..."

Alec took his glasses off, folded them neatly onto the side table. He looked like he was struggling to come up with words to say. He frowned and stood up stretching as he walked over to me, sitting on the chair by my bed.

"I... don't really want you staying home alone...right now..." He says slowly. He had his hands together and I looked at him confused. I was getting better, I was going to be fine. "I don't want you staying in the house alone... not while you're still sick..."

"I'm better now... I'm an adult... I kind of have to go back to work soon anyways." I say a little bluntly with another sigh. "I told them I would be back Monday," I add. He furrowed his brows at me.

"Do you really think you're going to be ready for that? Ariana, you were really sick before and the doctor has already said you should be taking the next couple weeks for your body to recuperate." I couldn't help but laugh at him but it turned into a cough. He looked at me with that stern face of his again and I stop my laughing and just cough.

"It's not funny Ariana." He says sternly.

Shaking my head, I reply, "I'm not just someone who can just not work for two weeks. I have a job. I love my job and I don't want to miss that many days. I'll be better in a few more days that Monday should be a breeze."

He frowned at me and shook his head. "Ariana, I think you should really consider the advice the doctor has given you. Is it money? Is that why you're trying to go back so soon? If it is, I can pay- "I stop him from speaking about money. It wasn't like I didn't have money. I had inherited a fair amount from my parents. I was comfortably living, the house taxes paid for the next couple of years. Money wasn't an issue.

"Money is not an issue," I explain. "I just don't like taking the time off," I say simply.

"Yes, but the doctor has advised you... and you should probably listen." He comments. "I think..." He bit his lip. It was like I was causing him some form of torture. "You need someone to make sure you're okay... that you're getting better..." It was my turn to look at him confused. I shrugged.