Chapter 34: Dealing With the Unknown

Chapter 33

Dealing with the Unknown

Ariana

"But I want to go right now, why can't you understand that," I wailed into the phone at Alec.

"Ariana, sweetie, I don't want you to be going by yourself," Alec was trying to calm me down.

"I'll be fine, daddy," I said. I said it without thinking. I didn't realize how emotional made me feel so little. I'm pretty sure I could hear him smile on the other line. The phone muffled on the other side and I heard him speaking muffled words to his secretary. Something about having someone wait a few minutes.

"Ari, honey. He's not going to be here for a few more hours yet. There's no need to rush over, not like this. You couldn't possibly be in the right headspace to drive that far. You'll be tense the entire way there, what if you start to cry on the way there. You're crying right now, I can tell. What if you aren't paying attention enough and you get into your own car accident on the way there? Then Daniel won't be able to see you."

The tears fell from my eyes and deep down I knew he was right. I hated having to rationalize in a situation like this.

"Here, why don't you do this. I need to have this meeting happen. I've pushed it back one too many times now. The rest of my day is cancelled. So, go to your house, find something your brother wants to see while he's in the hospital. And as soon as I'm done this meeting I will drive; I'll pick up something to eat on my way to pick up you. We can take the drive together, that way I now you'll be safe and your brother will have some of his own things."

"Why are you always right?" I sighed.

"Because that's what... daddies are for," he answered. I was sure he was making sure no one was listening to him. "I love you Ari, let me know when your home."

"I love you too Daddy."

Alec hung up and I drew in a deep breath, wiping the fresh tears from my eyes. I composed myself enough to pull out of the parking lot and take the short drive to my house. It felt like it had been so long since I had been inside. It was the first time I had been back since military officers had come by to let me know what was going on. I had never wanted to return after that. I thought that the next time I returned; I would be packing Daniel's room into boxes because he was never going to come back.

I started to make a cup of coffee when I got inside. Lord knew that I was going to need it over the next several hours. I didn't want to sleep at all. Not until I could see Daniel for myself to know that he was truly safe. There were knots in my stomach thinking about what he might look like. How beat up was he? Did he have all his limbs? Was he missing an eye? Was he burned? I wish they could have given me more information over the phone. Even the email they sent me to confirm where he was going had little information.

"What do I even bring him?" I thought out loud to myself. I didn't think that he would have much with him coming directly from overseas.

"Clothes...?" I mumbled.

I had a cup of coffee with me now as I stood in the middle of his room. It was practically untouched. He didn't bring much with him when he was deployed. Only the necessities. It didn't take long for me to rummage through his closet to pull out sweat pants and hoodies. It wasn't exactly warm where we were. I could always come back for more stuff if I needed to.

I packed a small bag with clothes, and a couple pictures of us as a family. I didn't know if it would be childish for me to include the stuffed bear that he had on his bed. He wasn't as in tune with his inner child like I was. It made me think back to Alec bringing me the horse I had named Solstice. Daniel would probably just laugh at me. He didn't know what kind of life I was into now. I did pack the crotched blanket that was neatly folded on his bed. Our grandmother had made one for each of us when we were younger. I remember he was contemplating taking it with him on his deployment, but he didn't want it to be damaged.