Chapter 22: Scaring Daddy

Chapter 22

Scaring Daddy

Ariana

"I love your boyfriend," Hyoko, one of my Japanese students said in English.

The group of three girls all seemed to be blushing. "He's so sweet," another said in Japanese.

I chuckled lightly. Ever since the Halloween party, the female Japanese students had been obsessing over Alec and me. It was one of those cases where they all had a crush on him.

"I wish I was Ari-sensei," Mayumi, the one who drew the wonderful image of Alec and I dancing together. They were making me blush as we spoke in a mixture of English and Japanese.

"Ne, ne," Hyoko said. "How did you meet him?"

I opened my mouth to speak but I couldn't give them all the information about the night we met. It was far from appropriate. I explained to them that I met him at a bar and that he had asked for my number. I told them how he came to my house while I was deliriously sick and took me to the hospital, and then let me stay at his house until I got better.

"And then," I shrug. "I just never left," I laughed.

The girls melted and awed at me. Hyoko mentioned that she wanted to get sick like me and have her crush check on her. I just shook my head and told her that was the last thing she wanted.

Once the class had finally filtered out, I gathered my belongings from my desk and took one last glance at the hand drawn picture and smiled as I carefully put it into my bag. I couldn't wait to show Alec the picture in person. I hated that he was going to be late tonight.

Upon reaching home I kicked off my boots by the door and dragged my bag towards the table and spent the next two hours going over materials for the exam I was scheduled to take at the beginning of December. After reading until what felt like my eyes bled, I grabbed my phone to surf through Facebook.

When I had scrolled through videos of cats getting scared by cucumbers, I was shown a homecoming video of a soldier returning to surprise their wife. The videos had been showing more frequent as it was nearing Veteran's Day. My mouth went dry and I couldn't help but feel both angry, sad and worried at the same time.

I didn't finish the video of the wife being surprised on her birthday. It made me feel sick. MY fingers found their way into my email to check to see if I had heard anything from Daniel. This last month his emails and messages had been getting farther and farther apart. I hadn't received anything in the past week from him. I even made sure that my emails were not sitting in limbo land in my outbox folder.

I was getting worried. At what point should I contact someone? Was I being paranoid? Was I overreacting? I knew he said internet was getting bad, but was it really that bad that he couldn't let me know he was doing okay?

Exasperated, I shoved my textbooks away from me and had concluded I would be giving up for the night.

"Binx," I called out. "Are you hungry?" I asked. The moment I called his name I heard a thud upstairs and the rushing of the monster coming down the stairs. "Of course, you are," I chuckled sarcastically. I filled his dish with food and let him eat while I changed into the Fluttershy onesie that had received more use in these last two months than it had in the years of having it.

I received a text from Alec that he would still be late but I should send him a picture of my food when I was done. I curled up on the couch with the plate of food that was left in the fridge for me. The plate was filled with a bed rice with a porkchop and mushroom sauce. The porkchop was already cut into pieces for me. I snapped a picture after I was done and sent it to Alec.