Chapter 36: Shimmers

Chapter 36

Shimmers

Alec

"Yes, if you can, try to schedule as many meetings over the phone or video conferencing. I'll make what ones I can," I spoke coolly to Darla. She had been sending me text messages asking what I wanted to do. I finally stepped away from Ariana and her brother to make the call to her to settle things back at the office. "Thanks, I really appreciate all that you've done for me this last little while. I'll make sure to give you a nice bonus for Christmas. Have a good day."

Turning my phone off I replaced it in my pocket, yawning for a moment before I could hear Ariana's voice raising.

We weren't allowed to stay overnight with Daniel so we travelled back home, only to return by noon with a better served lunch for Daniel and what he was willing to eat. This was day three of him being back in the US, he was already looking brighter than he had. The doctor expected that he would be out just in time for Christmas. We were going to prepare one of the guest bedrooms for him, while also cleaning up the house to not reflect Ariana's and mines lifestyle. A part of me was hoping I could give her a 'little Christmas.' But now it would have to wait. Christmas was only around the corner.

"I can't understand why you won't tell me though!" I heard Ariana speak with a croaked voice.

"Not this again," I breathed and returned to Daniel's room to try and diffuse a tricky situation. Ariana wanted to know what happened to her brother and was constantly trying to get information from him.

"Ari, I just don't want to talk about it right now, can't you leave it alone?" Daniel spoke sharply.

"But it would make you feel better to talk about it," she spoke back.

Before either of them could say something that they would regret, I stepped into the room, approaching Ariana and putting an arm around her waist.

"That's enough Ariana," I say with just enough of a tone to show her I was not just acting as her boyfriend and mediator but as her Daddy as well. Speaking softly, I added, "Come with me for a moment."

With reluctance I managed to lead her out into the hallway and farther away from Daniel's room. When I was sure there was no one else listening, I looked down at Ariana who was looking at her feet. She clearly knew she was in some sort of trouble.

"Now listen. I know this is a shock for you, and there are a lot of emotions flying around, but you really need to act a little better about this." I was sure to keep my daddy tone. She was trying to keep her gaze away from me, only until I traced my finger to tip her chin up to look at me.

"Your brother has gone through something dreadful. We both know it, but he needs time to tell it on his own. If you force it out of him, it might bring back memories that he doesn't want to remember right now."

She was still trying to avert my gaze.

"Look at me Ariana."

She huffed and I was doing my best not to sit down and take her over my lap to scold her.

"Princess, mind your manners," I said, not giving up, but finally gave in when she stopped tapping her foot. I placed my hands on her shoulders.

"Why don't you cool down for a bit. Will you go to the cafeteria and get—" I looked around to make sure no one was listening in. "Will you go to the cafeteria and go get Daddy some coffee. Why don't you get yourself one of the cookies from the bakery too?" My tone had softened to try and bring her back to her bubbly self. I had finally managed to crack a smile out of her and felt her hands wrap around me in a hug. Patting her head, I let her face rub against my shirt.