Chapter 21: Coffee Intrusions

Chapter 21

Coffee Intrusions

Alec

"Could I get a medium roast coffee please?"

I was readjusting my briefcase in my hand as I told the barista with bright coloured hair my order.

"Of course," she answered. "Is there anything else I can get you, sir?"

I pondered this thought and looked at the dessert selection in the display case. There were cute little cakes and macaroons. I pointed to the plate of macaroons. "I'll have a plate of those please," I say and look at what else was offered. There was another plate with differently shaped sugar cookies with frosting. There were unicorns, stars, hearts, and other animals. I smiled briefly. "I'll also take a unicorn cookie to go, please... in your little gift boxes if you have any."

The barista nodded at me and retrieved the cookie and macaroons for me.

"That will be fourteen twenty-five." She said. I nodded and paid her the money with my card.

"I'll bring your coffee out to you when it finishes brewing," the barista said sweetly and handed me my food.

I tell her thanks and walk over to a table by the window with two chairs. I was meeting Madison for coffee. Apparently, she had some big news to discuss with me. I drape my suit jacket over the chair and loosen my tie before sitting down.

I set my phone face down on the table and began to nibble on one of the macaroons before I hear my phone buzz. I turned it over to see if it was Madison saying she was going to be late. It wouldn't be the first time. I smiled as it was Ariana sending me a text. She had sent me a picture. One of the students had drawn her a picture. They were very talented. They had sketched us dancing at the Halloween party as Cinderella and Prince Charming.

Text: Alec

Your student is very talented. You should frame it.

I decided it would be worth adding that I would likely be late tonight.

Just reminding you that I won't be home until after supper tonight. Supper is in the fridge.

Text: Ariana

I know you aren't going to be home until after supper. It sucks.

She adds in a few sad emojis and crying gifs. I smile and shake my head at the texts.

Text: Alec

You'll be fine princess. Daddy is only a text away.

Text: Ariana

But your princess demands to cuddle after work. Who am I going to cuddle?

I shake my head. Over the past month, she had been exhibiting more clingy behaviours. It was cute, and I enjoyed giving her the attention she wanted. Unfortunately, I just couldn't give it all the time.

Text: Alec

I'll make sure to give you lots of cuddles when I get home. But until then why don't you cuddle with another stuffy?

She had a growing collection now, varying in sizes. Though her favourite remained between the horse I gave her when she was in the hospital and the Build-A-Bear Fluttershy she had made when we were at the mall.

I finished by sending her kiss emojis as I saw the Barista approaching me.

"Here you go," she said, placing a mug with a cat face on it in front of me.