Shakespeare Code 2

The Doctor followed Teresa across the landing to their designated room and he asked her quietly by the door: "Witches?"

"Close enough." Teresa replied quietly.

He sighed as he asked: "I suppose you can't say anything else?"

"Spoilers." Teresa answered apologetically.

He sighed but nodded as they walked into the room. Martha was examining the sparsely furnished room, holding a candle, and she pointed out to them: "It's not exactly five star, is it?"

Teresa smiled softly as she took in the two cabinets, a double bed and a single bed pushed into the corner of the room. The Doctor replied lightly: "Oh, it'll do. I've seen worse."

"I haven't even got a toothbrush." Martha retorted, and the Doctor quickly patted himself down as he muttered: "Oh. Er."

He proudly produced a toothbrush from his pocket, handing it to Martha as he added: "Contains Venusian spearmint."

Teresa chuckled at him as Martha took the toothbrush, looking rather amused.

But as the Doctor began to move towards the larger bed, Martha piped up: "So, who's going where? I mean, someone's going to have to share."

She nodded to the double, and Teresa blinked in surprise as the Doctor replied easily: "Oh, Terry and I can share. We've had to make do with less before."

The Doctor lay down, making himself comfortable as he propped himself up on the pillows. Martha raised a brow but moved to the single bed while Teresa stood torn. Martha should be with the Doctor, but it would be strange to insist they sleep together. And it only ended in pain for poor Martha so she didn't even particularly want to press the subject.

As Teresa dithered slightly, Martha asked as she got ready for bed: "So, magic and stuff. That's a surprise. It's all a little bit Harry Potter."

Teresa had to chuckle at that, while the Doctor smiled slyly and answered: "Wait till you read book seven. Oh, I cried."

"So did I." Teresa mused and the Doctor looked at her in surprise.

"You've read it too?" He asked and she rolled her eyes.

"I came from 2013 in my world. Of course I've read it. Finished the movies as well." She told him and he smiled, while Martha sighed: "Lucky."

"You'll love it." Teresa promised her, and Martha grinned.

She then returned to the original subject as she stopped by the end of the double bed beside Teresa, and asked her and the Doctor skeptically: "But is it real, though? I mean, witches, black magic and all that, it's real?"

"Course it isn't!" The Doctor retorted dismissively.

Teresa winced while Martha said, offended: "Well, how am I supposed to know? I've only just started believing in time travel. Give me a break."

"Don't worry, he's just naturally rude." Teresa told her, giving the Doctor a meaningful look.

He blinked and had the decency to look contrite as he explained in a much kinder tone: "Looks like witchcraft, but it isn't. Can't be." He murmured firmly and then glanced at the two girls.

"Are you going to stand there all night?" He asked bluntly.

Teresa rolled her eyes and sat down on the other side, smacking his arm chidingly as Martha made a face and moved to her bed. It wasn't that far anyway, given the small size of the room.

"What was that for?" The Doctor complained as he rubbed his arm and she told him, unimpressed: "Why can't you be a little nicer? Would it kill you to be kind?"