The Doctor Dances 2

The four walked towards the site, finding it heavily guarded behind wired fences and gates. Jack pointed it out, murmuring to the others: "There it is."

Teresa's face was drawn and her face set even though it paled slightly as she looked towards the guards. Jack also noted the guard, and he said in pleasant surprise: "Hey, they've got Algy on duty. It must be important."

"We've got to get past him." The Doctor murmured, and Rose asked lightly: "Are the words 'distract the guard' heading in my general direction?"

Teresa suppressed a grin as Jack commented: "I don't think that'd be such a good idea."

The Doctor and Rose looked at him, the Doctor with surprise and Rose with a mix of skepticism and insult.

"Don't worry I can handle it." Rose said confidently.

Teresa chuckled quietly, and Rose threw her a slightly hurt look, which disappeared as Jack said lightly: "I've got to know Algy quite well since I've been in town. Trust me," he looked at Rose, "you're not his type. I'll distract him."

Rose's mouth fell open as Jack began to walk off, calling back: "Don't wait up."

Teresa laughed at Rose's expression, and the other girl turned her wide eyes on her friend and the Doctor. The Doctor chuckled: " Relax, he's a fifty first century guy. He's just a bit more flexible when it comes to dancing."

Teresa snorted again, while Rose asked incredulously: "How flexible?"

"Well, by his time," the Doctor answered, "you lot have spread out across half the galaxy."

"Meaning?" Rose asked and Teresa laughed again as the Doctor hinted: "So many species, so little time."

"What, that's what we do when we get out there?" Rose asked in complete disbelief. "That's our mission? We seek new life, and, and-"

"Dance." The Doctor and Teresa said at the same time.

They looked at each other, the Doctor in surprise and Teresa mildly, before they both chuckled. Rose joined in, and the three were all chortling quietly while Jack reached his friend at the gates. But their smiles faded as they saw Algy fall to his knees, retching a little before suddenly sprouting the gasmask on his face.

"Stay back!" The Doctor shouted as he ran forwards.

Teresa was already running towards Jack, and the Doctor and Rose followed quickly. Jack was yelling at the other guards: "You men, stay away!"

Teresa stopped by Jack, staring down worriedly at Algy as the Doctor bent down to examine the soldier.

"The effect's become air-borne, accelerating." The Doctor muttered.

The air raid sirens began blaring in the distance as they stood there, and Rose asked the Doctor anxiously: "What's keeping us safe?"

"Nothing." He and Teresa replied grimly.

Jack meanwhile was glancing up at the skies and he sighed: "Ah, here they come again."

Teresa sighed as well as the sirens continued wailing and Rose muttered: "All we need. Didn't you say a bomb was going to land here?" She asked Jack.

Jack nodded, and Rose half-sighed, half-whimpered but the Doctor interjected: "Never mind about that. If the contaminants airborne now, there's hours left."

"For what?" Jack demanded, and the Doctor replied flatly: "Till nothing, forever. For the entire human race. And can anyone else hear singing?" He asked randomly.

They all paused, and sure enough from inside the bombsite compound, they could hear a young woman's voice as she sang: "Rock-a-bye baby, on the tree tops."