Rings of Akhaten 2

*A/N Slight changes in P.O.V.s in this chapter.

The three ran into the Amphitheatre, a little late, and the Doctor skid to a quick stop on the sand-covered theatre-grounds. Teresa spotted Merry standing a few feet in front of them, on a small pedestal in the middle of the theatre. The girl had her hands clenched in her red ceremonial robes nervously, but Teresa didn't see anything else as the Doctor quickly led her and Clara into the stands.

"Shush, shush. Sorry." The Doctor murmured. "Sorry. Excuse me. Sorry. Excuse me."

"Sorry, sorry." Clara muttered as the trio made their way into an open spot, and they quickly sat down amongst the other disgruntled aliens. Clara hissed to Teresa, who sitting beside her: "Are we even supposed to be here?"

"Shush." The Doctor hissed from Teresa's other side before Teresa could say anything, and Clara demanded quietly: "But are we?"

"Shush!" The Doctor hissed. He paused, and then added quietly: "Sorry."

The alien behind Clara grumbled a little in annoyance but settled down, appeased. The trio shared small grins, Clara and Teresa exchanging silent laughs.

They all turned to the front, and watched as Merry seemed to take a deep breath, staring out towards the temple floating on the asteroid far before the Amphitheatre. Teresa smiled slightly as Merry glanced back towards the crowd, immediately locking onto Clara.

Clara beamed encouragingly at the little girl, and as Merry glanced to Clara's side, Teresa waved a little with her own encouraging smile. Merry took another fortifying breath before turning back to the front and towards the temple.

"Akhaten" Merry began singing. Teresa and Clara leaned forward slightly in awe as the door to the temple opened. A male voice sang from within the temple: "Lay down, my king."

The male chorister stepped out of the temple, singing with Merry as he faced the Queen of Years: "Sleep now eternal. Sleep, my precious king. Lay down"

"O god of Akhaten." Merry sang.

The Doctor explained as he whipped on his glasses and read off a pamphlet he'd borrowed from the alien beside him: "They're singing to the Mummy in the Temple. They call it the 'Old God'. Sometimes 'Grandfather'."

"O god of Akhaten." Merry sang, and Clara whispered curiously: "What are they singing?"

"The Long Song." Teresa explained.

The Doctor added as he read the details from his pamphlet: "A lullaby without end to feed the Old God. Keep him asleep. It's been going for millions of years, chorister handing over to chorister, generation after generation after generation."

Clara smiled a little, and she watched Merry proudly as the little girl sang beautifully. Teresa breathed in, in a mix of appreciation and apprehension, as the whole crowd on the stands lifted their hands and held out objects in their palms.

"What are they doing?" Clara asked as she watched the aliens, and the Doctor explained: "Those are offerings. Gifts of value. Mementoes to feed the Old God."

The offerings began to glow and sparkle before dissolving into golden dust.

"O god of," Merry sang as the golden dust offerings began to fly towards the temple, "O god of, O god of Akhaten"

"Sleep, my precious king." The chorister sang.

"Lay down," The whole crowd began singing, "my warrior."

Clara giggled while the trio swayed slightly with the crowd, and the Doctor began trying to follow the song: "Lay, lay down,"

He gestured for the girls to join him, and both girls wrinkled their noses a little. He continued, humming a little as he didn't know the words, "lay down..."