Story 2 - Chapter 8

Story 2

The Gentleman Who Stole My Heart

Chapter 8

I timidly looked at Arjun as we entered the room.By the time we had got to his family home it was already eleven. After performing the rituals for welcoming the new bride we were led by his S.H. to the Pooja room of the house. After the short and sweet aarti she sent us, the newlyweds to his room. 

I noticed, it was decorated with rose petals and white flowers. Gradually anxiety began to churn in my tummy. I wanted sleep not embarrassment. And this was embarrassing!

"I told S.H this wasn't required. " I heard him say, clearing the bed. "Told her by the time we reach it will be midnight. But, Women are Women!" I cleared my throat, twitching my eyebrows. His explanation wasn't very satisfactory. 

"Okay." He glanced at me sheepishly. "I need to get used to having another one in my life. Excuse me for my comments on women, in general. I am not an anti-feminist by the way. Just so that you know." He winked at me. 

Don't do that you handsome... Husband! 

I walked up to the bed helping him to clear the unnecessary decorations. I guess every couple did this on the first night. Who'd want to sleep smelling flowers after practically, smelling and seeing them throughout the entire wedding functions? I was sure I wouldn't touch flowers for a month. They made me feel giddy, already. Too much of anything was bad.

"Hey, you change, I will prepare the bed. " he said smiling.

"Ahh, right. " I looked at him gratefully. Walking in this bridal dress I felt like a decorated crane pulling kilograms of load. 

I saw my luggage placed aside in his huge room. I stared blinking. Which one had a decent dress for me to wear through the night? I should call mumma and ask, but it was already twelve. I was panicking already. Should I just try calling?  No. What would he think? That I am dependent on my mother for that. Will random number allocation technique work? No. Just follow your instinct. That blue one. I pulled it and opened it. This had heavy sarees. A few of my mother's when she was a young bride! Who asked them to pack this for me? I'd never wear them anyway. He was right, Women are Women! They'll do what they like anyway.

And well, I am one too!

I opened another, this time the cardboard box. This had my books and stuff I had saved from school time. Ahh! Sending up prayers I opened another , this time an airbag. This had all my jeans. 

"All okay?" He asked me. 

"Yeah!" I tried smiling. My clothes, the ones I needed right now were untraceable. That too in the moment I most needed them.  Can I cry? I need to get this off me. Mummy! I cried in my head for a few seconds. Marriages were hard because there were no parents for the girl! "Ahhh, are you sure ?" He asked walking up to me.