Hiding in Plain Sight - Part 1

I wake up in a castle

In a blossoming garden

Surrounded by loneliness

I hide in this garden of thorns

- Untold Truth, BTS

Ji-woo steps out into the chilly morning watching her breath cloud around her as she watches her friend Ara approach. The pretty girl frowns at her friend's bright smile, clearly annoyed at her good humor.

"Hey," Ji-woo grumbled, clearly not a morning person.

Ara stifles a giggle not wanting to annoy her grumpy friend. "Hi," she responds.

The two walk to school together along the narrow street lined with varied shops. Ara waved and smiled at the shopkeepers as they prepare for the day. The girls wordlessly pick up the pace determined to get to school before their hands and feet have a chance to be numb with cold but something or rather someone bars their way.

"Hey loser, get off the sidewalk," Ji-woo said, as she stopped looking down at a boy sitting on the sidewalk.

"What a waste," she mutters under her breath.

Other people just walked around the huddled figure but not Ji-woo. She had both hands clenched to her backpack ready to swing it at the unsuspecting teen if she had to. She had a tendency to be a bit rude in the morning. She was definitely not a morning person but even this was a bit much.

 She was definitely not a morning person but even this was a bit much

Ara doesn't understand why her friend is so annoyed.  Seeing the brown-haired boy on the ground filled her with sadness.  Cold and discarded and living in the streets at such a young age was unusual.  It's like he had given up on life.

"Ji-woo! Don't be so rude." Ara nudged her friend to behave. Unlike her friend, she saw no need to be cruel.

"He's clearly a drunk loser, why do you care?" Ji-woo said in a scornful manner.

"He's just a boy. Can't you see?"

"He should be on his way to school not laying on the ground.  You're such a softie, Ara. Will you rescue him like one of your cats?" She mocked.

Ara gives her a look.  "It costs nothing to be kind.  Stop acting like your a bad bitch, you're not!"

"Aren't I!" Ji-woo says with eyebrows raised obviously pretending to be insulted.

"No.  Not today."

"Whatever let's go," she said walking around him.

Ara paused and looked back at the boy on the sidewalk and wondered if he was okay. When he didn't even blink she walked back concerned. It was a cold day and he looked cold. Actually, he looked frozen.