Don't Pull Away - Part 7

Ara made her way up the stairs to tell the boys that breakfast will be ready in 5 min.  As she approached their room, she heard them speaking.

"Come down. Breakfast is ready!" she said pausing to see if they had heard.

"Okay!" 

She heard them yell through the door.

As she turned to go back down, she stopped dead in her tracks.  She could not believe her ears.

"She likes you," her brother said.

"No way!"

"Yes, she does!" Dawon insisted.

"No, she doesn't. We're best friends but I don't like her that way so stop teasing me," Yoongi said to Dawon.  It wasn't helping his mood having to deny his feelings for her. "You don't have to worry.  We don't like each other that way.  You can ask her yourself."  

It hurt Yoongi to say it but it was her that told him they were just friends.  He had to respect that.

"Whatever dude, you're delusional."

"No, you are.  If you haven't noticed, she has a block-headed boyfriend that's an annoying bully.  How she can love him? I can't understand," he said shaking his head.

"You sound jealous to me." 

Ara went down quickly so they wouldn't catch her eavesdropping

Ara went down quickly so they wouldn't catch her eavesdropping.  She felt heartbroken by his words. After all, she's done for him.  Why couldn't he like her just a little?  The magic she felt around him, the love that she felt was turning to nothing.  Any secret hope she had that he might like her vanished like the lyrics of a love song that you can't seem to remember.

"Sis, what's wrong?" her brother asked seeing her sad little face.

"Nothing. Let's eat," she certainly didn't want to say in front of Yoongi.

While they ate she couldn't make eye contact with Yoongi, but he didn't seem to notice as he pushed his food around his plate.  He didn't have much appetite since he started feeling depressed and sorry for himself.  

Soon Jay was at the door ready to walk Ara to school.  He had suddenly started paying more attention to her since he found out Yoongi lived with them.  The cocky boy's presence making Yoongi more annoyed than ever, Yoongi couldn't hide his dislike for the other boy.  Yoongi left with her brother leaving her behind without a word to her. 

"Are you okay?" Jay asked concerned that she wasn't her usual self.

"I'm fine," she lied finally smiling. She wasn't going to let this affect her day or her relationship.  "Thanks for walking with me." 

I have his attention back and all it took was a little jealousy, she thought to herself.  They held hands all the way to school but it was not his hand she really wanted.

Yoongi avoided her all day.  What has she done to make him dislike her?  She wanted to know and she was determined to find out.  He can't escape her all day, they live in the same house.

Yoongi doodles on the edge of his paper.  He sits in class thinking about his problem.  Not the problem on the board but the one in his heart.  He sighs and writes her name over and over till the words run together and he scratches them out.  

The bell rings signaling it's time to go.  He crumples the paper and throws it away.  'I can't stand to see them together,'  he thinks.  The solution?  Avoid them altogether.

He hurries home ahead of his friends, walks in the door into the warm room, and drops his things.  He walks to the fridge and grabs a pudding cup and makes his way to his bedroom.  Just when he thinks he is safe in his room the door swings open.  

"Yoongi, we need to talk."

Yoongi drops the spoon his eyes widening at her tone.  He wonders what he could have done to make her angry.  He is scared that she will want him to leave.  He felt good here.  It was nice to come home to a warm house every day.  He was getting used to being normal, being happy.

"Don't be so scared, Yoongi.  I'm not mad at you.  I just want to know what's wrong.  You're acting weird."

"I don't know what you mean," he lied.

"I thought we were friends. I thought we were getting closer.  Why are you blocking me out?"

"I-I'm sorry."  He looks down at his shoes avoiding her eyes.  He doesn't say anything else to clear up the matter.

"If you're unhappy about something, please tell me.  You are not alone anymore.  We can solve it together."

"Sometimes I just need to be alone, okay?" He says pushing her away even more.

"I see.  Have I been smothering you?"

"No, no, don't misunderstand.  You're my best friend.  I don't want to lose you."

"Okay.  Don't pull away, please. Can you tell me one thing?"

Yoongi nods.

"Do you like anyone?"

"No, no one." 'No one but you.' he thinks.

She turns to walk away but stops to add, "Yoongi, you don't need to do anything to earn my love.  You already have it."

Yoongi doesn't know what to do but stare after her retreating figure.

❁❁❁❁

From this lonesome garden

I want to give you a flower

Reminding me of you

I'd give you all and take this foolish mask off

But I know that I can never give you more than that

Forever may not be for us

Hide the ugly now