Chapter Twenty-Nine

Jessica looks up to see her brother, Chris, laying on the floor of whatever area she had popped into. His hair was longer and disheveled, his eyes still held a small look of insanity but he seemed calmer than before. Maybe that was just the stuff Bruce had put him on when Chris was first brought to the tower.

Upon seeing Jessica in her new state, Chris furrows his eyebrows and pushes himself to his feet. There was obvious concern written all over his face with a touch of anger. His sister didn't look like his little sister anymore and the tears gathering in her eyes made him yearn to reach out and hug her like he did when they were kids. Chris knew, though, that that wouldn't be an option. She wouldn't allow it.

"What happened to you?" He finally speaks up, trying his best to keep his voice level and calm. "Did Stark do this to you?"

"No." Jessica shakes her head while running a hand through her hair. "Ho....where are we?"

"Still in the tower, just a secluded part of it." Chris mumbles. "I didn't think they would let you here." 

"They didn't." Jessica replies. "I came here by accident." 

"Always getting into trouble, nothing has changed." Chris sadly smiles while sitting back down. Jessica watches her brother rest his forearms on his knees and lean against the wall. There was literally nothing to do in this small prison, just soft walls all around so he couldn't turn into anything and hurt someone or himself. 

"Why'd you do it?" She finally questions while leaning against the wall herself. "Why did you decide to leave? Was it because of a girl? A yearning to be elsewhere?"

"I left because of what kind of organization we were apart of." Chris slowly explains without opening his eyes. "I wanted to find us a place to protect you, obviously I still can't do it right."

Jessica slides down the wall and softly sits down. She too pulls her knees to her chest and lets her head fall back against the soft fabric that covered the walls. "Dad said things about us." 

"I figured." Chris shrugs. "He already thinks that way about me, it was only a matter-"

"I want to leave." She interrupts, not wanting to hear her brother say the 'I told you so' words that she'd been dreading. "Yet I don't at the same time."

"Let me guess, a boy is the reason?" Chris chuckles. "You wouldn't have added that if it wasn't happening to you, we may not have seen one another in years but I still know you." 

"I love him." Jessica admits. "I always have but there's been the age gap that's separated us. Then Hydra and everything else the world seemed to throw my way. What if this is my one chance to finally get something I want?"

"Is that something the boy or do you want a family?" Chris pushes. "Because if you leave with him, I'm sure you won't be around here as often." 

"Tony will have you." She shrugs. "He's probably wanted a son more than a daughter anyway." 

"Look," Chris grumbles while digging his fingernails into his palms. "I don't like him, you know that, I hate all of them but they love you. Whatever you got here is special, they all care for you and they all do a kickass job of protecting you. All of the things I wanted to do. It wouldn't be this way if he didn't want you, Jess, I promise. I know what it feels like not to be wanted and the way Stark treats you is the exact opposite.

He's just stressed. You were...whatever happened here." He loosely gestures to Jessica. "Now you're talking about running off with a guy and whatever else is happening up there. He's got me, the crazy Hydra-Agent-son that's off his rocker and the world is probably going to throw more his way because that's just how life works." 

"Aren't you philosophical." Jessica chuckles. "Maybe you should give up this whole agent thing and just be a therapist." 

"It'd be better than being stuck here." Chris admits while playing with his shorts. "But I can't. I have a duty to my agency as you do to yours and if I can't convince you to join me, I will...someday...have to kill you. I just want to make up for as much as I can before that day comes." 

"Ha." Jess shakes her head while playing with her jeans. "When that day comes, I'd like to see you try and kill me first. You'll be on the ground before you can bat an eyelash." 

Chris laughs and shakes his head, Jessica soon joins in. After about a minute, the laughter dies and the room is plunged into silence once again. She missed this, the person that her brother truly was without all the crazy crap that Hydra implanted into his brain. She knew that it wouldn't last, especially if he escaped, and her heart hurt at the thought of it.

Jessica also knew that their time was short, even now. Eventually, someone would stop fighting and realize that she was gone and then the tower would go into a little frenzy trying to find her. Some time later, either Bruce or Tony (the only ones who had access to this floor) would appear and drag her away. 

She was ready for it too, Jessica just hoped that it wouldn't come soon. With all the craziness in her life, she wanted to enjoy this small moment of peace. Even if it was with her psychotic brother that could flip like a switch and kill her at any second. For once in her life, Jessica felt happy and in that moment, she knew what she had to do. 

=====

Oof. This took me longer because I forgot who the person that she met (last chapter) was for a while so I literally spent days cursing myself out and trying to figure out where the hell my brain was when I wrote it.

Anywho, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this small lil filler chapter that I thought was kinda sweet and needed after all the craziness that y'all have been through with this book. 

Have a great rest of your day/night/afternoon/whatever

-Author Out!