Chapter One

I stood staring up at the sky scraper in front of me, ignoring all the mumbles of annoyance as people took two steps to the right to stop from running right into me. 

The streets of Chicago were crowded especially so early in the morning, everyone rushing to get to their jobs. 

I use to be just like all these other people, rushing to get to work, hurrying to be on time before completely owning my day. 

Use to. 

I sighed, staring at the large words on the building, Cords Incorporate. 

A huge business, a booming business, my Parent's business. 

It use to be mine too, but that seems like it was years ago, in a completely different life. 

I knew when I walked in, everything would be white, the small aroma of citrus in the air, while everyone moved quickly and efficiently. 

The click of heels and shoes as men and women made their way around the building, working as a small part of a whole. 

I use to love that, love all of it, even the disturbing family portrait of my parents and I that was hung in the lobby right behind the receptionist, as if we were constantly watching over everything. 

We were handlers, we handled every situation known to man, and we were good at it. 

Amazing at it. 

At least I use to be. 

Crazy how the whole world could change in just one single night, and even worse how much I could have fallen over the past four months. 

I seriously did not want to go back inside there, to walk through that lobby, have everyone stop and stare at me, and pretend like it didn't hurt, that it didn't feel like someone had ripped my whole heart of my chest and chewed up the world I was so use to living in. 

But if I wanted to disappear, truly and for good, I had to do this. 

I was realizing that more than anything, that even the world I use to love so much never really belonged to me. 

If it didn't belong to Him, then it belonged to my parents, my own Father owned me more than I owned myself, which was a shitty thing to realize, especially after everything I had gone through. 

I stared down at myself, the simple grey dress that I had on, stopped right in the middle of my thighs, a bit tighter than it had been a few months ago, but whatever. 

The expensive black purse on my elbow, the red heels on my feet, my hair tied back into a low bun, that represented professionalism and still stylish. 

I had my nails painted black, a small representation of the color of my soul, and large black sun glasses to cover up my brown eyes, that would immediately show anyone who looked how truly depressing I was. 

My warm brown skin looked dull, no matter what I put on it. 

I guess thats what happens when you convert yourself into a complete recluse for four months. 

I pushed my shoulders back and took a deep breath, this was going to  be good, all I had to do was finish one last job for my Father, for the company and he'd let me out of my contract. 

The one I had been so excited to sign not even six months ago, the one that would pretty much make me the next owner of this gigantic company I was standing in front of. 

Now seemed like a huge weight on my shoulders, something else that only reminded me of how utterly different I was, how shitty I felt, and something I didn't want to lose, so I couldn't even try.