Chapter Twenty-Four

Kal was sipping slowly on a beer, his eyes not moving far from my bare legs that dangled at the bar. 

"I'm telling you now, he could impregnate with that look", Dorthy snorted as she sat beside me. 

The team was having a dinner in a flashy restaurant, the tall and muscled men sitting at a long family style table as they laughed and chatted together. 

Dorthy and I had been banned to the bar, along with the other 'girlfriends', that I was now realizing were extravagant booty calls, who sneered just a little too hard when Dorthy and I had said hello. 

I rolled my eyes at my best friend, who was blatantly flipping off one of the other girls at the bar. "It's like you want me to be mean to you" I sigh, watching as the other girl made quick work of looking aways from Dorthy. 

She snorted, her eyes swinging back to Preston who was laughing hard at something that Kal had just said. 

I tugged the t-shirt dress I had on, down, my eyes scanning the restaurant, "so I got a call from Daniel today" Dorthy chuckled. 

I refused to make eye contact with her, "fun, fun" I muttered, refusing to be pulled into my own personal demise. 

That didn't break the smile on her face, "it was so funny because he said when he saw you, you were singing in the shower, and it was so funny because I didn't know you like to sing in the shower" she continued, her voice barely concealing her laughter.

I glared at her, "you don't know me."

She was barely keeping a straight face, "sure, what is ten years of friendship anyways?" she snorted, "but I distinctly remember that you don't sing in the shower. So imagine my surprise when Daniel was telling me about it."

I glared at her harder, "I hate you."

She burst into giggles, "in the shower, Val! And then he comes strutting out barely holding onto a towel, holy shit Daniel said it was the funniest shit!" she hissed as she continued to laugh at me. 

I glared at her, "yes, yes, so what. We fucked in the shower and my cousin walked in and then that dumbass came strutting out like we aren't a secret" I rolled my eyes. 

Dorthy snorted, "can you blame him?" she huffed. 

I gave her a confused look, "what do you mean?" 

"Daniel said that you had just replied that you loved him as your cousin, and maybe your conversation could have been taken out of context and caused some jealous feelings" she pressed, looking at me stupidly. 

My mind whirled, "you think he thought that Daniel was what?" 

"A past lover, so he came out balls swinging, literally, to claim territory. Valerie have I taught you nothing?" she sassed. 

I rolled my eyes, "why the fuck would Kal care if Daniel was anything other than my cousin, you told me yourself he doesn't do serious" I tried to dismiss her, but it wasn't working. 

My heart was hammering in my chest. 

It felt so natural to be with him, to spend all day with him. Even his stupid smiles were growing on me. 

He wasn't the ignorant play boy I had originally thought he was, he was actually thoughtful. 

"All rules went flying out the window when he continued to sleep with you. Preston is honestly shocked, when I told him that you two were still sleeping with each other after the game, he was actually confused!" she continued, while I tried to ignore the fact that she had told Preston. "He said he hadn't seen him continue with a girl in a while" she continued babbling.