Chapter Seventeen

I blinked stupidly at my aunt. 

Well ... my new Aunt. 

Aunt Emerald stood in sat in front of me, looking extremely thin, her hair limp and her eyes looked ... tired, but hopeful. 

She looked awful. 

Like a walking zombie. 

"What are you doing here? Is Uncle Xavier with you? Where is the baby?" I choked, completely confused on why she would lie and pretend to be with the company to meet me. 

Kal stood beside me, looking utterly confused, "this is your aunt?" he asked. 

I nodded dumbly, still not fathoming that I was staring at my Uncle's second wife. 

Uncle Xavier was the black sheep of the family. 

Apparently my grandparents had never been proud of him, and between him and my Father there had never been a competition. But Xavier was handsome and cut throat, so he made it as a business man, until my Father created our company, and even opened the doors to Xavier. 

Xavier got drunk off of power and money once the business blew up beyond anyones imagination. 

He started doing drugs, drinking heavily, so much so that he himself needed to be handled. 

Which is what my Father had done. 

He cut his brother a portion of the company and sent him away. 

By then Uncle Xavier had married this monster of a woman named Miranda. 

They were an absolute mess together, but Aunt Miranda was obsessed with Xavier. Thats probably the only reason their marriage lasted as long as it did, before he filed for divorce, her raving it was because he was cheating on her, but could never figure out with who. 

They were only divorced a month before he was dragging Emerald down the aisle, a model who was at least ten years younger than Xavier. 

Now my Uncle wasn't some old ugly man who could only grab a woman's attention because he was rich. No, he was handsome and calculated, things that made women stop and stare. 

He was younger than my Dad, no older than 37, and he hadn't been married to Emerald for more than six months, compared to the five years of Miranda. 

I still couldn't believe she was here though, I hadn't even gone to their wedding. 

No one in my family had. 

Uncle Xavier always gave me the creeps, made me pause because there was something always unchained about him that told me to stay away. 

I'm not sure what exactly he had done to my Father that had pushed him out of the company, but I knew that even saying his name to my Dad sent him into anger. 

He was outright irresponsible. 

But he ... had the capacity to be cruel. 

There was more than one occasion where I had seen the evidence on Aunt Miranda's arms, or neck, or the way she couldn't help but flinch if there was too loud a noise. 

I made sure to stay away from Uncle Xavier. 

"Hello, Valerie, I'm sorry I lied, but I needed to make sure you got here. I'm almost out of time, and I need your help" she whispered, but her eyes strong. 

I had met Emerald once or twice outside of her being my Aunt. 

She was a friend of Zola's model cousin, Raina. Zola being my best friend, and also letting her cousin drag her into situations, had pushed Emerald and I's path into one another a few times.