Chapter 2

I'm lying on my bed reading Antigone. I'm not paying that much attention to what I'm reading because I'm also racking my brain, trying to think of what I can do for my project. I only have two more weeks left before it's due.

There will be four projects presented for this section. All fifteen of the Idols in class are filming their own theatrical production of the Theban plays---of course they are. I think the four nerds are planning on making some kind of diorama, and the one edgelord in our class who seems to think he's Che Guevara reincarnated is doing something on his own, but I don't know what it is.

The bigger issue at hand is that I have no idea what I'm going to do, and it's starting to stress me out a little. I decide what I really need to help me in this situation is some good music. I listen to distinctly different kinds of music depending on my mood and what I want to accomplish. When I'm happy, I like to listen to blues music (think Albert King and John Lee Hooker). When I'm sad, I listen to classical music and opera (Chopin's Nocturnes are my go to). When I'm contemplative, I prefer Twenty One Pilots, and when I want to be creative or artistic, I like old Tom Waits music.

I scroll through the music in my phone and find what I'm looking for. I click play, and All the World Is Green penetrates my ears. I fell into the ocean when you became my wife. I risked it all against the sea to have a better life. Marie you are the wild blue sky. Men do foolish things. You turn kings into beggars. Beggars into kings...

I begin reminiscing, replaying in my mind (I have a habit of doing this with just about everything that happens in my life), what Mrs. Harrison said about the sequels to The Matrix movie. I hear Logan's voice in my head, "Nobody likes The Matrix sequels because they suck."

I'm thinking about all three plays and about how although Oedipus Rex is the most famous of the plays, Antigone is clearly the best. Then, like that, it occurs to me. I know what I'm going to do for my project. I pick Antigone back up excitedly because I have to finish it before I can start on my project. Thank you once again, Tom Waits!

***

As usual, Ryder comes by my locker before third period. Every day, he has something new to say about Taylor, like that her mom was born in France, that she has a St. Bernard, and that she has no cousins at all. These little bits of information about Taylor are mildly interesting at best to me but seem to be fascinating to Ryder.

For one of the very few times I have ever seen, Ryder looks serious. I immediately say, "What's wrong?" He looks at his feet and says, "Do you think that if I, if I, asked her out, that she would maybe say yes?" I'm completely stunned by this. I say, "What? You want to ask her out? Out to what? On a date? Really?"

He looks embarrassed and defeated and shrugs, "Nah, I was just maybe thinking about it. That's all." Immediately, my heart goes out to him, and I feel really bad. "Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I think if you actually like her..." I can't help from making a look of disgust, like someone trying to suppress a burp, when I say this. "...If you actually like her, then yeah, I think you should do it. The worst thing that can happen is that she says no, which will just mean that she's an idiot."

Ryder smiles at me suspiciously, "An idiot with a 4.0?" I reply, "Yeah, it is possible to be an idiot with a 4.0. Look at me." Ryder smiles. I continue, "Seriously, though, you're a great guy. She should want to go on a date with you." I can see the brightness return to his eyes, even though he still looks serious. He mutters, "Even though I'm a Reject, and she's an Idol?"

I think about this for a minute. "Yeah, who cares that she's an Idol and you're a Reject. None of that's going to matter after May anyway. Our whole social system at school is really dumb anyway. Deep down, I think even Taylor probably knows that. You should just do it." Now, Ryder is smiling, and his serious expression has completely dissolved. "Thanks, Pepple. I'm going to do it...uh...tomorrow."