Chapter 5

It's Friday, the day of the big game. We've been doing school spirit things all day, and now I'm sitting at a pep rally, watching the cheerleaders do their thing. I want to barf blue and gold, our school colors. I'm sitting next to Ryder who's playing Plague on his phone. He laughs diabolically every time a new country is infected. I know he's only interested in watching Taylor and the dance squad strut their stuff next. 

After the cheerleaders finish, the dance squad comes out. They're wearing short shorts and what looks basically like sports bras with the Royals' crown logo on them. The word "Royals" is written in gold letters on the butts of their blue shorts. I can't help but roll my eyes. Ryder's eyes, however, are glued to them, especially Taylor, when they do their routine. He occasionally elbows me in the side, which is extremely annoying, every time Taylor does the splits or some other sexy move. 

After the dance squad comes Coach Jablonski. He drones on and on about the "all of the support" they've received and how the team exemplifies the entire community of Kingstown. As he's droning on, I say to Ryder, "So, you want me to come over later and pick you up to go to the game?" He looks at me a little surprised, "Yeah, sure. I wasn't sure if you were going to go or not." I shrug and say, "Well, it is the division title and the last game of the year. I figured I would go and support the team. They need all of the support they can get, you know?" He looks incredulous, "Since when do you care about supporting the football team?" I smile while replaying the conversation I had with Logan about The Purge movies and football. I reply, "I don't know. I just think that football is maybe not as stupid as I always thought it was. Plus, you said you'd go with me to the next game, remember?" He says with a smile, "Okay, sure, come by my house around five."

***

As I'm getting ready for the game, I pull up a picture of Priyanka Chopra on my phone and try my best to copy her makeup and hair. I'm wearing a royal blue Fair Isle sweater with a salmon-colored pattern. It's the only royal blue piece of clothing I own. I'm wearing this over a sparkly gold pair of leggings that I got for Christmas. I look at myself in the mirror, and I'm kind of dismayed by what I see. You look like you could be an Idol, Kristina. 

This is too much for me, so I take off the ballet flats I was going to wear and put on my big black Doc Marten's. That's better. I may look Idol on the top, but I'm still Reject on the bottom. I can live with that for tonight, I guess. 

Riley bursts into my room, and I can't help from laughing when I look at her. She's wearing a long-sleeve blue t-shirt over blue leggings with a gold tulle skirt. She has a crown painted on one cheek and "Royals" painted on the other and blue and gold ribbons in her hair. Now, any concerns of my outfit being too over the top are gone. She is the epitome of school spirit.

***

Later, we go over to Ryder's house to pick him up. We're all standing in the kitchen while Ryder and Luke are fighting over the last piece of pizza in a Trevisani's box sitting on the kitchen island. Ryder picks it up and holds it over Luke's head. Luke is jumping and swatting to get to it. Riley and I roll our eyes as we watch them struggle over it. Riley yells, "Just cut it in half, you dumbasses." They don't listen to her and continue to wrestle over it. 

I notice that Ryder looks as preppy as ever. He's wearing dark jeans, cuffed at the bottom, with a striped rugby shirt and stupid leather loafers. His hair is gelled and parted on one side. If you didn't know Ryder like I do, you'd swear that he's an Idol and has always been one. 

Luke suddenly lands a good shot in on Ryder's hand, and the pizza goes flying. It lands on the floor, cheese side down. Luke yells, "Good job, Ryder, now neither one of us gets it." Ryder smiles and slowly peels the pizza off of the floor, "Oh yeah, I beg to differ." He takes a big bite, and everyone groans, "Eww." He looks at me and says, "Don't judge me, Pepple. The five-second rule applies here."