Chapter 11

I'm standing at my locker Monday morning before third period with a dreamy look on my face. I'm still floating on clouds from everything that happened over the weekend. 

This all comes crashing down in one fell swoop, however, when Ryder comes storming up to me. His eyes look menacing, and his face is projecting hurt and anger at the same time. 

"Are you fucking Logan Wagner?!"

He pretty much just yells this at me. I'm completely thrown off by it. It feels like I've been slapped in the face. "No!" I reply. "Why would you even ask me that?" 

He pulls out his phone. "This is why!" He shows me a picture of Logan and me asleep under the blanket on Parker's couch. The way the picture is taken, it looks like we're lying down in a bed. It's been posted on an Instagram page for the prom. Annie or Parker must have uploaded it over the weekend. It has the most likes of any picture, even more than a picture of Taylor and Ryder as Prom Queen and King. 

The memory of falling asleep in Logan's arms suddenly comes flooding back to me, and I can't help but smile. "What? You think this is cute? Being his whore?" Ryder sneers. I wrinkle my nose at him, "Calm down, Ryder! We just fell asleep on Parker's couch playing Fortnite. Nothing happened."

This seems to have actually made things worse because now Ryder just looks hurt. "He's hanging out with you at Parker's now? Since when have they been friends?" I roll my eyes, "I don't know. What does it matter?" 

"It matters, Pepple, because he's not one of us," he retorts. Now Ryder is just making me feel agitated at him, "Wow! You know what you sound like? You sound like an Idol snob!" He looks insulted, "Oh, I'm the one who's an Idol snob? That's really funny when you're cozying up to the real one."

He looks down at the floor for a second, and then his tone changes to pleading, "Look, Pepple, please just remember what I told you about him. I just don't want to see you get hurt." 

This makes me soften a little, but I'm still annoyed with how he's behaving. "Look, Ryder, I don't know why you're saying the things that you've been saying, but you don't know him like I do, okay? He's not like that."

Now, the nasty look returns to his face, "Oh yeah, you know him so well, do you? Did he ask you to be his girlfriend?" I'm confused, "No...why does that matter?" He sneers, "Because, Pepple, in their circle, if a guy asks you to be his girlfriend, then it's for real. If he doesn't, then he's just using you. You're a fling, and he'll throw you away as soon as he's done with you. It's like their guy code. And trust me, you're just a fling to him." 

This really stings, but I immediately remember Logan being the one to stop us from going too far last night, and I know that it's not true. Then, I think back to what Logan said about Ryder being jealous and that I would have to tell him sooner or later that I don't like him.

I straighten up my posture, take a deep breath, and look him right in the eyes. I know this is going to hurt him, but that's exactly my objective. He has to get the point that the way he's behaving is not cool. 

"Ryder, I don't know if I'm his girlfriend or not, but I am with him. Logan and I are for real. That's the way it is, and you're just going to have to accept it, or we can't be friends any more. I'm a big girl, and I can take care of myself. I don't need you butting in to my love life, okay?" 

He looks completely dejected and opens his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. He just closes his mouth, turns, and walks off.

I just stand there for a moment, feeling my heart racing. I can tell that my flight or fight instinct is going crazy right now. I take several breaths and try to calm myself down. I know that as soon as I turn the corner, I'll see Logan, and it'll be weird. Thanks, Ryder!