Chapter 13

The next morning, I realize that it's ten o'clock when I wake up. I haven't slept-in like that since the last time I had the flu. I walk upstairs still in my pajamas and find Riley and Ryder playing Fortnite. 

"Ryder, what are you doing here?" I ask while rubbing my eyes. He says, "Duh! Playing Fortnite." He really is back to the old Ryder. I shrug, "Okay," and go into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. "Where's Mom and Dad?" I ask loudly so Riley can hear me. "Outside working in the yard," she yells back. "They're planting fruit trees." 

I pour my cup of coffee and add sugar and cream to it. I'm just about to take a sip when I spot Ms. Traci's minivan pulling into the driveway from the kitchen window. 

What's Ms. Traci doing here? 

Then, I see Logan get out of the driver's side and walk up to the front door.

I am now instantly aware that I look like complete and total crap. I didn't even look in the mirror when I got up, but I can feel that my hair is wild and crazy. The doorbell rings. I scream, "Riley, answer the door!" and run downstairs. I look in the mirror and see that my hair looks pretty much exactly like I pictured it. Quickly, I brush it as best as I can. I rub some toothpaste on my teeth, throw a sweater over my pajama top, and change my bottoms for some leggings lying on my bedroom floor. It takes me about thirty seconds to do all of this. "Kristina, it's for you!" I hear Riley screaming from upstairs.

I run back upstairs and see Logan walking into the kitchen. My heart flutters when I see him. "Hey," I say. He smiles, "Hey. I came to pick up Holden Caulfield for the weekend. Can we talk?" I walk over to him and squeeze his hand, "Of course. Let's go to my room." We walk into the living room, and I feel Logan stiffen up as soon as he spots Ryder sitting on the floor in front of the TV. 

Oh shit! 

I was so preoccupied with how I looked that I had forgotten that Ryder was even here.

Ryder looks up, "Hey Wagner." Logan looks at me, and I can see that his eyes are on fire. He looks so mad and hurt. I try to pull his arm, so he'll go downstairs with me, but he doesn't budge. "What the hell?!" he says to me, and I feel like all of the blood is draining from my face. 

I guess Ryder can sense that something bad is going to happen if he stays because he gets up and says to Riley, "I'm gonna take off. We can finish our game another time." She says, "Aww, just when I was about to kick your ass." He rubs her head like she's a little kid, and she slaps his hand away. 

He walks past Logan and me and says, "See you in school, Pepple." I say, "Bye," and he goes out of the front door. Logan just stares after him. After a moment, Logan starts heading toward the front door, too. I'm not sure if he's going after Ryder or if he's just leaving because he's mad at me.

I grab his arm, "Wait, please, you said you wanted to talk. Let's talk." He turns back to me, "What the fuck was that?" I shrug, "I don't know. He was hanging out with Riley. I just woke up like five minutes ago, and he was here." 

He looks at me hard. "Did you know that Taylor and Trevisani broke up last night?" I nod, "Yeah, he told me." Logan still looks angry, "Don't you think it's funny that the day after they break up, he's hanging out over here? ...He's trying to move onto to you." 

I think about the conversation I had with Ryder last night and smile, "The one thing that I'm certain of, Logan, is that he's not trying to move onto me. I asked him point-blank if he likes me, and he said no. We're just friends, and he just needs a friend right now." 

Logan's face softens, but he still looks unconvinced. "Yeah, we'll see, I guess. I'm telling you right now, though, that if he makes a move on you, I'm going to beat the shit out of him."