Chapter 10

I wake up the next morning to a pillow hitting me in the face. It's Riley, "Get up, you sack of lazy bones!" I groan, "Leave me alone." She retorts, "Today is the adopt-a-thon. You better get up and start getting ready. We're leaving in twenty minutes." 

Oh crap! I forgot all about the adopt-a-thon. 

Dad's clinic sponsors two adopt-a-thons per year for the rescue animals we take in, one in the spring and one in the fall. We set up a couple of canopy tents and a bunch of tables and pens in the Pet Smart parking lot. All of us always help out with it because it's so much work.

I gradually roll out of bed and get up to go brush my teeth and wash my face. As I'm getting dressed, it occurs to me that Ms. Traci always helps out with the adopt-a-thons, too, so maybe Logan will be there this time. I pick up my phone to text him, but my battery's dead. Of course! I roll my eyes and plug my phone into a charger. I spend an extra five minutes putting on make-up, just in case he does come.

Mom, Riley, and I are all riding in Mom's new(ish) Subaru, while Dad goes to the clinic to pick up the animals in the clinic van. Riley pokes me in the side from the back seat, "So, Kristina, did you show Logan last night?" I'm too tired to feel embarrassed, so I just say, "I guess." 

Mom is obviously now curious and probably thinking the worst possible thing, "Show him what?" Quickly, I say, "Show him that I like him. He kissed me last night during his favorite song. It was really sweet...So, I guess he's pretty clear now that I like him." Riley gives a "Woo hoo! Kristina scored!" Mom turns to Riley and gives her the stink eye, "That's not the right word to use, Riley!" Riley retorts, "God, Mom, I meant she scored her man. I wasn't saying she scored his dick, okay!" I laugh while Mom yells, "That's quite enough, thank you!"

Now, I feel like gushing. I stick my hand with the bracelet into the back seat, "Look what he gave me. Isn't it so pretty?" Riley grabs my arm and looks closely at the bracelet. She's twisting my arm in a weird way, and it really hurts. "Ow, Riley, stop. You're hurting me." She lets go and says in the most dramatic way possible, "Kristina, you are the most luckiest girl in the world! A boy only gives you something like that if he loves you. Do you know what this means? The most popular boy in school, the best looking boy in school, loves you." My heart flutters. "I'm not sure it means that he loves me, but I think it does mean that he likes me," I say. I touch the bracelet gently. "And believe me, the feeling is mutual."

Mom pulls the car right in front of Pet Smart where we'll set up. She pops the back hatch and says, "Riley, go get a box out and set it on the sidewalk, so we can stake out our claim." Riley nods and does what she's told. I'm about to get out of the car when Mom puts her hand on my leg, "Kristina, wait. It sounds like you're getting really serious with Logan. I just think that maybe we should talk about the birds and bees for a second." 

I groan, "Mom, I already know about the birds and bees, okay? All we've done is kissed, so you have nothing to worry about." She shrugs, "Well, sometimes things can move quickly, and if you're not prepared, it can have very serious consequences. I just want you to know that if you need me to make an appointment with the OB for birth control, just let me know, okay? I won't tell your dad. But, I'd just rather you be prepared before it's too late, you know?"

Immediately, my thoughts turn to Parker and Annie and their future baby. "Okay," I say. "I guess it wouldn't hurt ....But, I'm not anywhere ready for anything like that." Mom sighs with relief, "I like Logan. He's a good boy. Just make sure things don't go any faster than you want." I feel my cheeks burning and sheepishly say, "Okay, Mom. You don't have to worry." Suddenly, Riley knocks on Mom's window, startling us both. "What are you guys doing?! Am I supposed to do this all by myself?" Mom and I both laugh and get out of the car.