Golden Dots

Kirishima's eyes widened when he heard Bakugou's words. His typical grin replaced the worried expression on his face.

Even Bakugou smiled slightly. Firstly, because he had managed to avoid his question, and secondly, because (he could't deny it) Kirishima's joyful expression warmed his heart.

The redhead leaned forward and stared at him. "Really? Wow, I'm happy. So you know this Suzuki? Is her music good?"

Bakugou froze. Shit, he had got himself into it now. He shrugged his shoulders inexpressively and hoped that Kirishima would drop the subject. Which luckily he did.

"Do you know that you just called me Kiri? I could easily get used to it."

"Better not, Shitty Hair," hummed Bakugou.

Kirishima chuckled slightly. "Anyway, thank you for coming with me. Otherwise I probably would have gone alone with Kaminari and Jirou and ... well ... I don't want to be the third wheel." He scratched the back of his head.

"What do you mean?"

Kirishima smiled mischievously. "Well, there's something going on between them. Don't tell me you didn't notice."

Bakugou snorted. He had never been particularly interested in the affairs of others. How could he have noticed something like that? Besides, he wasn't very good at reading other people and interpreting their signals.

Kirishima's commentary, however, also drew his attention back to the mysterious piece of parchment that lay hidden on his desk. According to his theory, and he still strongly doubted this hypothesis, the people on it were lovers or should be couples.

But that raised another question: Were there more such lists? For as many names were on the list, their number was of course incredibly small compared to the world population. That would mean that there were either masses of such lists or only this one and these couples had a special meaning. But what would that be?

"Hello? Earth to Bakugou?" Kirishima's voice reached him gradually. The redhead looked at him with amusement. "Hear me? Dude, what is wrong with you? What are you thinking about all the time?"

Bakugou frowned in annoyance. "None of your business."

Kirishima nodded slightly, but Bakugou saw the hurt expression in his big red eyes. And again he felt bad. Was it just because he suspected Kirishima was in love with him? Because as rough and dismissive as Bakugou's character might be, he wasn't so cruel to deliberately hurt someone who had a crush on him. And Kirishima wasn't just anyone. He was his fucking friend.

The redhead was silent. Apparently, he didn't know what to reply.

Bakugou sighed. "Don't make that face. I just have some problems ... with my parents." He didn't like lying to Kirishima. Even if it wasn't directly a lie, because his relationship with his parents did consist of constant arguing.

He had hoped to soften his rough rejection a little, but Kirishima's grin didn't come back. Bakugou had become so accustomed to this grin and his constant cheerful manner that he was shocked to see his big red eyes begin to shine. As if paralysed, he stared at the redhead who avoided his gaze by pretending to look out the window. Had he said something wrong?

Bakugou stood up and sat down next to Kirishima on his bed. "What's the matter?" he asked unusually calmly.

A tortured smile covered the other's face. It was only a vague image of his other grin, almost as if he wanted to keep up the appearance. He made a gesture with his hand, which probably meant something like "it's nothing". But at the same time the first tear ran down his cheek.

Bakugou sat there helpless for a moment. But the insurmountable urge to comfort him overcame him. A little stiffly, he put his arms around the redhead and pulled him to himself. For a moment Kirishima stiffened, but then he sank into Bakugou's arms.

Not knowing what and if he should say something, the blonde boy stroked his back. He felt wet tears on his chest and the trembling that went through the redhead's body but heard no sound. Kirishima cried in silent desperation.

They sat like that for a while. Bakugou had a dull feeling in his stomach. Seeing his friend in such a state tugged at his heart. He wanted to help him and at the same time felt so incredibly out of place. He wasn't good with feelings. How could he help? Could help at all?

Kirishima gradually calmed down and carefully wriggled himself out of the embrace. He didn't look at Bakugou when he spoke a soft "thank you." The blonde looked worriedly at him.

"What's the matter?" he asked again and watched Kirishima, whose hands clenched around the edge of the mattress.

"My father. He's been seriously ill for a while. This morning my mother called to tell me that he is now in hospital. It doesn't look good". Kirishima's voice was rough and finally broke away.

Bakugou swallowed hard. "I'm sorry about that. Will you go to the hospital?"

Kirishima took his time to answer. "I'd like to. But I'm scared at the same time." His gaze was still stubbornly on the ground and he pulled his shoulders up a little. "I want to remember him as he was and if I go to the hospital now, he probably won't even remember me. But of course, I will ... go there ... soon."

Bakugou took him once more in his arms. He could hardly imagine losing his father in such a way and failed to find the right words.

"I'm sure Sero would drive you. He has a moped, doesn't he?" he said quietly.

Kirishima shook his head. "I haven't told anyone yet."

Surprised, Bakugou frowned. As open as Kirishima was with everyone, he would have thought he'd share his pain with his friends.

"Why not? They would all be there for you, wouldn't they?" he asked and stroked the redhead's back again.

Kirishima shrugged. "I don't handle pity well. It feels like I'm a burden to others."

His words caught Bakugou off guard and he tightened his grip on the redhead. He wasn't a burden at all! He was someone who helped anyone who needed help! He was about to become a hero!

"And despite all that, you came to me today because you cared about me?" The blonde spoke quietly and pulled the other boy away from himself to look at him.

Kirishima's eyes found his own for the first time since the beginning of the conversation. The big honest eyes were reddened and grief was still reflected in them. Never before had Bakugou been able to see his eyes so intensely from close up. Never before had he seen the golden dots in his irises. Kirishima smiled slightly and Bakugou felt an unfamiliar flutter in his stomach. His gaze wandered to the soft lips of the redhead and he leaned in.