Home - Pt.2

Monika was unable to sleep for the rest of the night. She couldn't find it within herself to even close her eyes. It's not like the sun could rise in this place, and her phone had disappeared with her school uniform, so she had no way to tell the time.

The time seemed to drag out, but interfering with the code seemed...wrong to her. Or, more accurately, it seemed like messing with it now would lead to something bad. Skipping forward in time was hardly ever a good idea. Hell, the last time she did it, she got trapped in here (even though the two incidents were not directly related, she still wasn't taking chances).

The other girls certainly took their sweet time waking up, that's for sure. Yuri was first, followed by Natsuki, and Sayori rolling in last almost two hours after Natsuki had woken up.

"When did you all get up?" Sayori mumbled, stretching comfortably on her makeshift bed.

"Literally hours ago. You really need an alarm clock, Sayori." Monika mumbled, but still smiled at the sleepy girl.

Sayori chuckled slightly, and pulled the blankets over her knees as the others resumed their conversations.

"Anyway, as I was saying..." Yuri said, toying mindlessly with a piece of her long, purple hair.

The four kept talking, until Toriel knocked four times on their door. "Ah, good, you all are up! Will you please join me for breakfast?" Goat mom said, smiling as she cracked the door open just wide enough to poke her fuzzy face in.

They all smiled and said their respective "Good morning!"'s, stretching as they got off their beds. Monika had to shout at them to stop, pointing out and moving the Butts. Pie from the spots their feet were about to hit.

From the kitchen, Toriel was bringing out...more pie! The girls hardly minded, though, as they had eaten for quite a while now. They all engaged in lively conversation as they sat and ate, but falling into an awkward silence when Sayori asked the question that was on all of their minds.

"When can we go home?"

"G-go home? This is your home now, my child."

The girls all exchanged equally disturbed glances.

"But...how can we exit the RUINS? This isn't the only thing down here, right?" Natsuki piped up.

"Yeah, what else is down here?" Yuri asked. The others slowly joined in, pestering Toriel.

"I...I have to do something. Please stay here." Toriel said, rising quickly from her chair and rushing down the stairs. Monika turned herself in her seat to watch as she 

The basement! I never asked her what she was doing...

Monika thought, furrowing her eyebrows. "Guys..." She started, swinging her head back to face the girls. "I think we should follow her."

The other looked shocked, for a moment. Yuri then solemnly nodded. "I think you are right. We shouldn't place our trust in a person we only met yesterday, especially when they could be engaging in suspicious activities."

"We trusted you, didn't we?" Natsuki snapped, shoveling more pie into her mouth.

"Natsuki, that's mean!" Sayori said, frowning at Natuski. "But still, I think that we should trust her. I mean, she hasn't done anything to hurt us, she baked us pies, and gave us a place to live!"

"She was down in the basement last night, though. I can't help feeling like she's hiding something from us."

"How did you know where she was? Is that where you were last night?" Yuri questioned

"What do you mean? Did Monika leave the room last night?" Sayori asked, directing her gaze towards Monika.

"That sounds awfully suspicious, too..." Natsuki mumbled, an evil look crossing onto her face.

"No, it doesn't! Ugh, guys, we can talk about this later, but I really feel like Toriel is hiding something from us! We're wasting time just sitting here talking!" Monika cried.

"Technically, only Natsuki and Sayori are sitting. We are both standing." Yuri added shyly.

"If you all are too scared, then I will go down to see what she's up to. Feel free to join me." Monika snapped, descending the stairs in a huff.

"...is this the point where we follow her?" Sayori asked, pie spittle flying everywhere.

~Monika's POV~

Useless. The whole lot of them. Why can nobody see that Toriel is up to something? We asked about going home and leaving the RUINS, and then she got all weird and came down here. What is-

I stopped, almost running into Toriel.

"T-Toriel? What the-"

"You wish to know how to return 'home', do you not?"

We were both silent for a moment as Toriel continued, her back still towards me.

"Ahead of us lies the end of the RUINS. A one-way exit to the rest of the underground."

"So...we can leave?" I asked, toying with the bottom of my skirt.

Toriel didn't answer my question.

"I am going to destroy it."

"WHAT?! But that's our only way out of here!"

How can you destroy a door, anyway?

"No one will ever be able to leave again. Now, be a good child and go back upstairs."

Toriel speed-walked away, around the corner. Does..does she really think I won't follow her? She should have gotten to know me better, honestly.

Obviously, I followed her. She was stopped further down the long purple corridor, by the same goat standing in front of her.

"Toriel?"

"Every human that falls down here meets the same fate. I have seen it again and again."

Wait...humans? Oh...oh shit. Oh no, this was bad.

"They come. They leave. They die."

Toriel paused for a moment more, before turning her head slightly towards me so I could see that her furry, normally happy face, was now downcast and riddled with guilt, anger, regret.

All emotions very familiar to me, sadly, so it was easy to recognize them on her face. Still, it was a sad sight to see.

"You naive child...if you leave the RUINS...they...ASGORE...will kill you. I am only protecting you, do you understand?

"...

Go to your room."

Protect? ME? The thought was laughable. Still, Toriel walked away. Getting closer to where I found her, and, presumably, the door she was at was the exit...why did I not put those two things together?!?

She was just standing at the corner, about to round it.

"This is your final warning. Do not try to stop me."

Rounding the corner, I caught up with her. Standing just in front of the large purple door she where I found her last night-er, this morning? Whatever.

"You want to leave so badly?"

"Yes. I want to go home, why won't you let me?"

"Hmph. You are just like the others."

"Speaking of which, you said something about 'every human' falling down here? Were there others before us that fell down here, and...died?"

Toriel was silent, her forehead practically resting on the door.

"There is only one way to settle this."

"...you open the door, I go get my friends, and we leave peacefully?"

"Prove yourself..."

"Excuse me?!"

I do NOT like where this is going.

"Prove to me that you are strong enough to survive!"