Chapter 2

Emma's pov

After eating her breakfast, I strapped Sophie in her little car seat and then shut the door and walked over to the drivers seat of my sexy Audi A7. I mean girl gotta live in style I definitely wasn't gonna be driving around in no shitty car. I made sure me and Sophie could live comfy and the money I started off with was definitely enough but now with a job I could afford all the little luxuries. 

I adjusted my mirrors and drove off. I was always careful with my driving nowadays. No more speeding off at fast paces and screaming at the adrenaline. It wasn't me any more that I  was worried about, it was the little me who was currently leaning over to the window with a sly smile on her face.

"Do NOT play with the window buttons Soph" I said. Sophie inched away from the window with a defeated look on her face.

"But I just wanted the window to go up down" Sophie said looking at me earnestly. 

"I know baby but remember last time" I said and Sophie's eyes widened. 

The last time Sophie made the windows slide up and down she had lost her favorite butterfly hair slide and demanded we went back for it. We obviously didn't find it and Sophie was distraught for the whole day.

"Are we nearly there?" Sophie asked looking out of the window.

"Another five minutes or so honey" I said cursing as I came to a stop in the long line of traffic. We were entering the main part of the city and it was always busy especially at this time.

"Red car, yellow car, blue car..." I looked out of the window and smiled as I listened to Sophie counting the different colored car.

"Black car, black car, black car, black car, blue car, yellow car..." I stared at a pretty row of hedges with flowers. It looked like it belonged in a fairy tale garden. 

I looked over at the green light and took my foot off the brake as I drove forward. I turned around the corner and continued down the long road. I was running a mental list through what I needed to buy after work. The boots, Sohpie's boots, more bleach for the bathroom, a couple nail varnishes oh and then groceries.

"Black car, black car, black car, black car, PINK CAR!" Sophie squealed. 

"Sophie quietly please mommy's thinking." I said wincing. 

"Sorry mama" Sophie whispered before going back to counting cars.

After two minutes I pulled up to the Cafe and parked in the employee's space. I got Sophie out of the car and then locked the car. I pulled Soph up and place her on my hip. Her head nestled into my collarbone and I had to tilt my head slightly so I wasn't eating her wild hair. I walked round the side to the front entrance and walked in. 

I was instantly hit with the warm smell of coffee and fresh bakes pastries. I breathed in and so did Sophie. Sophie began flopping around in my arms so I put her down and she ran to the counter. Sophie was so tiny you couldn't even see her and she looked very funny. I laughed and walked over.

"Oh hi guys!" My boss Gemma said as iced some lemon cupcakes. 

"Auntie Gemma!" Sophie squealed excitedly.

"Hiya darling, you better come round the side and help me out, I'm being rushed off my feet." Gemma said and me and Sophie joined her behind the counter.

"Right darling it's super busy so could you go to the back room and play?" I asked Sophie and she pouted.

The break room was huge and so we had space to bring in a little table and chair for Sophie and whenever I worked she was usually there reading her little books or playing with her toys. The employees loved her and she put a smile on their faces whenever they hung around the break room.

"But mama I wanted to help!" Sophie said crossing her arms.

"It's busy honey, maybe later" I said turning Sophie around and giving her a little push towards the back room.

"I'll sneak you a couple raspberry cookies at break" I whispered and Sophie ran off laughing. I smiled and turned around putting on my apron and looking at the order list. 3 chocolate chip muffins, well then. I set to working. Baking muffins, cookies and cakes. I spiced nutmeg cookies and poured cinnamon in a cake batter. 

By the time the midday rush was over I was absolutely covered in flour and there was a bit of butter in my hair. I sighed and walked over to Gemma.

"Can I take my break now? I don't want Sophie to get hungry I promised her some raspberry cookies" I said taking off my apron.

"Uh I don't think so. No sweet child of mine is having JUST some cookies take her some of that delicious berry cake you made earlier" Gemma said handing me a wrapped slice of cake and then another.

"She's going to get sugar high" I groaned and Gemma laughed. I marched into the break room and stopped. Sophie wasn't at her table, she wasn't anywhere in the break room. I placed the cakes and cookies down and ran out of the room. I stood at the counter and looked around. Sophie was nowhere in the cafe. I looked at the huge window and out of it I saw Sophie deep in conversation to someone. I saw a tall man take her hand. I gasped and ran out of the shop.

I sprinted round the side and stopped when I saw Sophie standing there looking in the other direction.

"Baby!" I screamed and Sophie walked over to me and I hugged her tight against me.

"Mama did you see the tall man? He called me his little potweto" Sophie said giggling. I pulled away from her and looked her in the eye.

"Do not ever speak to a stranger Sophie, what have I told you? You scared me!" I said to her in a firm voice.

"Sorry mama I was just bored and I got hungry and then I walked out and I saw the funny man" Sophie said looking down at the ground.

"Suppose it's my fault for not feeding you earlier, I'm sorry baby just don't ever walk off again okay?" I said kissing her forehead. I stood up and looked around the car park. There was no way the man could've just disappeared. The walls at the end of the car park were too high but if he was to get out of the car park I would've seen him go past me. I looked around at every car but there didn't seem to be anything out of place. I sighed and walked back into the cafe.

"Let's get some food in that belly" I muttered to Sophie.

Author's note

WHAT DID YA'LL THINK? I'm very happy with this chapter haha. Who was that man? Is he someone from the past or just some random kid snatcher? Oh looooooord who knows?

Until next time my boiled carrots :)