4

Months went by, and Draco got more quiet. He would disappear during lunch and dinner, which wasn't like him. This happened all the time. I grew curious, and I always tried to follow, but Snape always stopped me. He never failed to tell my parents about my curiosity with my brother. And each week, I would receive an agitated letter from mother, telling me to stop. I didn't stop though, I kept trying. And this week, I received a very angry letter from father, telling me to stop immediately, or he would hex me. Not that I believed it, but father was becoming very unpredictable, so it was possible for him to hex me.

The next morning, I was sat at the breakfast table, eating some porridge with berries in, someone sat next to me. Glancing at the person, I saw Draco, which surprised me. "I want to protect you, so you need to stop following me" Draco mumbled softly, so no one else could hear. I fronted softly, staring my spoon around in my porridge. "Protect me from what, Draco?" I asked softly.

You could tell Draco wanted to say something, but then he shook his head softly. I sighed and glanced up, seeing Snape watch us. I knew that he had something to do with this.

"Lyra? Whatever happens, you must stay with Potter. He'll protect you when I can't" Draco said, staring down at the table. I frowned softly, "I thought you didn't want me to go near Potter?" I asked, looking at him.

Draco let out a sigh. "I have to do something, Lyra. Something that you cannot get involved with, or even know about. But i'm going to tell you anyways. I'm going to tell you everything, you deserve to know, but mother and father, or anyone else must not know, okay? Now follow me, so we can talk in private" Draco said softly, looking at Snape, who was shaking his head no. He seemed to know what was about to happen.

Draco got up, and took my arm, dragging me behind him, as my legs were smaller than his, and there was no way I could keep up with his longer strides. He took me to the Slytherin Common room, up to his dorm, and went to his bed.

"Remember, mother and father cannot know, okay?" Draco asked as he looked at me. The pain held in his eyes broke me. How was I supposed to keep my brother happy?

I nodded in reply, "I understand Draco. Now, what is it that you need to tell me?" I asked, sitting next to him on the bed.

"Please, listen go what I have to say. Know that I had no say or choice in this" Draco said, which confused me.

"Draco, what are you babbling on about?" I asked, my eyebrows knitting together.

"I'm working for Lord Voldemort" Draco blurted out. And thats when I felt my heart stop. My blood ran cold, and I had a very uncomfortable chill run through my body.

I stayed quiet, the air was thick with tension. Neither of us said a word. I was too shocked and confused to say anything, whilst I think Draco was too ashamed to talk.

After a few more moments, I opened my mouth, "Why..?" I asked softly, shifting my position.

Draco let out a long, tired sigh. "Lord Voldemort chose me to do things for him.. I've had many meetings with him, during the summer, when mother locked you in your room"

I looked at him then, "I knew it! I knew she was the one who locked me in my room! I bet she forgot about me, and I bet father did too.." I trailed off.

Draco looked at me, "They only did it to protect you. Lord Voldemort wanted to get you involved. But mother and father disagreed. Only because you're one of the only few girls born in the Malfoy family, Lyra. They didn't want you to be hurt. They didn't think that you could handle everything. They thought I could, but I can't...Look, Lord Voldemort wants me to do something soon... I just have to get something working somewhere, and the plan will come along. Lyra, when this plan happens, I want you to stay with Potter. Him and his...friends will protect you." He said, forcing himself to mention Potter and his two friends, as he looked down at his hands, whilst playing with the Malfoy ring he got.

I frowned, "Plan? What is he making you do? And what do you have to get working?" I asked quickly, wanting more answers. Draco chuckled softly. That's the first time I've heard him chuckle. It made me feel happy.

"I have to kill Dumbledore. Lyra, say a word, and Lord Voldemort won't hesitate to kill you. So, please do not say a word. I'm telling you this, because it kills me to have to lie to you all the time. And I can't tell you what I have to make sure is working, I can't tell you everything" Draco said with a sigh.

I looked at him and hugged him tightly. "I can't believe this has happened...Draco, I'm so sorry..." Draco stiffened, but he slowly relaxed, and gently hugged me back, keeping me close.

"I love you, Lyra" Draco mumbled softly.

"I love you too, Draco"