Chapter 5

It had been over a week since the big break up between Roderick and Shanelle when Shanelle felt she could get out of the bed and start her day without crying or being angry. She was tired of feeling sorry for herself, she was a strong woman and she needed to act the part. No more sad and depressed Shanelle. She was a brand new woman.

As she waited in line to get her movie ticket, Shanelle hummed a little song her mother had taught her. As she hummed a smile began to pull at her lips. When it was her turn at the movie counter, she asked for one ticket to see the new Denzel Washington movie as she gave her the right amount of money to purchase her ticket. The young lady behind the counter smiled as she slid the thin piece of paper through the drop slot.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, ma'am. Enjoy the movie."

Shanelle walked into the movie theater and headed for the popcorn counter. As she stood in line waiting her turn, she felt a light tap on her shoulder. When she turned around she saw Jaylin standing there with a large bucket of popcorn and drink.

"Hello again Ms. McGee, it's good to see you."

Shanelle couldn't find any words to say. The last time she'd seen this man was when he'd seen her get humiliated and heartbroken. What was she supposed to say?

"Uhh, hi," she managed to mumble nervously.

Jaylin just smiled and said, "I hope seeing me again isn't making you uncomfortable. I just wanted to say hi, nothing more."

"Umm... no. No, it's okay. It's good seeing you as well Mr. Cunningham. Gia told me you've come by to check up on me and brought flowers. Thank you. It was very sweet of you and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness."

"You're more than welcome," Jaylin said as he gave Shanelle a genuine smile. "So what movie are you here to see?"

"Faithful Man."

Jaylin's face scrunched up playfully. "That girly movie?"

Shanelle actually laughed. "I heard it was a good movie and wanted to watch it. Besides, everyone loves a good Denzel movie."

"Eh. He's alright, nothing special."

Shanelle shook her head at Jaylin with a smile. "Let me find out you're a Denzel hater."

Jaylin shrugged. "The man ain't all that. I look better than he does. I mean what does he have that I don't?"

"Yup, you're a definite Denzel hater. We can't be friends," Shanelle laughed.

Jaylin just smiled. He loved seeing Shanelle smile and laugh. It wasn't the fake smile she'd given him when they first met, it was a genuine smile and he loved that he was the cause of it. If God said the same, he'd be making her laugh a lot more but that would come later down the road. He knew she wasn't ready for anything just yet but was still going to wait for her.

He cleared his throat and said, "Well since we won't be friends, which I'm sure will change, I'll let you get to Denzel while I go enjoy blood and guts. It was really nice seeing you again. Keep smiling, it looks good on you."
With that Jaylin turned and walked off towards his movie theater.

Shanelle stood there with a smile on her face. She didn't know why she was smiling, but it felt good. She turned around and continued to wait her turn. Once she got her popcorn she too found her way to her movie room.
*
After the movie, Shanelle headed to the cemetery to go visit with her mother. As she got out of her truck, she felt a breeze blow through her hair. She took a deep breath, inhaling the spring air before letting it out as she headed for her mother's resting place.
Once there, she kneeled down and kissed her fingers before placing them onto her mother's picture lovingly.
"Hey, mama. I'm sure God let you in on what's been going on with me these past few days. Well, all I can say is I'm coming to terms with everything and plan on taking care of Shanelle. The way it should have been from the beginning."