Chapter 18

For the whole week that Shanelle and Jaylin were in California, Jaylin made sure that he left their hotel suite first thing in the morning to conduct his business meetings and was back to Shanelle before brunch ended. He wanted her first time in the state to be a memorable one. Together, they'd gone to every tourist attraction in San Francisco, including going to the infamous Alcatraz prison. Shanelle swore up and down that she could hear people talking in the cells when they'd gone to the death row portion of the trip. Jaylin just laughed and pulled her closer to his side and reassured her that she was just hearing things.

On their first night in San Francisco, Jaylin took her out on the town, including a helicopter ride around the city. Shanelle was absolutely blown away by the nightlife of the big city. Lubbock was nothing compared to its vastness. If her life and family weren't back home, she was sure that she'd pull up stakes in a heartbeat to be in a place like California.

The night before Shanelle and Jaylin were scheduled to leave, they stood out on the balcony of their hotel suit watching the sun disappear into the horizon wrapped in each other's arms.

"This is so beautiful," Shanelle sighed as she laid her hands atop Jaylin's that rested around her waist.

"That it is," Jaylin agreed as he rested his chin on the top of Shanelle's head as he tightened his arms around her. "I got a call from Gia the other day," he said softly.

"I know, she told me the day you came back."

"I heard. What I want to know is why didn't you tell me about that clown when I talked to you that night?"

Shanelle shrugged. "I guess I didn't want you to be worried. Just like I told Gia, Roderick is harmless." 

"Babe, you can think that all you want, but he's tried to hurt you before. I don't take that lightly. Who's to say he wouldn't try it again if he didn't get what he wanted from you? I may have overreacted by whisking you away for a week, but so be it. Your safety is everything to me. I don't trust him as far as I can see him."

Shanelle stayed silent.

"Gia told me that you were mad at her and Jon, don't be. They are only looking out for you. I'd rather you have overprotective friends than ones that are willing to turn their backs on you when you need them."

Still Shanelle stayed silent. She knew in her heart of hearts that Jaylin was right. She would have done the same for him or any of her family.

Jaylin let out a sigh and kissed Shanelle on her cheek. "You are one stubborn woman."

Shanelle let out a slight laugh. "You should have met my mother. Talk about stubborn."

"I can only imagine."

The two were silent for a few short moments before Jaylin decided to speak.

"Shanelle, I want you to marry me."

Not sure that she heard him right, Shanelle turned around in his arms. "What did you say?"

"I don't like having to leave you every night that we're together. When you're not with me, I don't feel complete. Sweetheart, you are my heart, the very breath I take. Shanelle you mean the world to me and I can't see me without you. So, will you, Ms. McGee," Jaylin said as he slowly slid to his knees. "Will you do me the tremendous honor of becoming my wife?" 

Shanelle's eyes widened as she watched Jaylin pull a ring box from his pajama pocket and open it. Inside laid a beautiful platinum gold engagement ring with a purple four carat diamond surrounded by small white diamonds.

"I- Wha.. Holy Jesus Christ," Shanelle mumbled as her now shaking hands covered her mouth. Tears began to fill her eyes as she looked down at the man she loved. She just couldn't believe he was proposing to her. "Oh my God, he's proposing to me. Oh shit, I think I might faint!"