Flashback

Flashback

1 and a half years back....

Naira is studying in final year, college. She has chalked out a plan in front to complete her Masters and PhD abroad. Right now she is bent over the microscope in her microbiology lab. Her phone rings, she doesn't pick it up. She ignores several times, later irritated at the disturbance, checks the caller. She is apologetic.

Naira: Sorry Papa...lab me thi...

Naitik: I am sorry Princess...woh kya hai hai naa maine manaa kiya tha meri Mrs Singhania ko..but tum jaanti ho....mujhe phone karna padha.

Naira: Lagta hai emergency hai...warna mere Papa mujhe kabhi disturb nahi karte...

Naitik: tum ghar aajao..kuch zaroori kaam hai...

Naira: abhi? Please naa....maine autoclave pe 300 test tubes rakhe hai..usse dhonaa baaki hai....yeh virus ka culture bhi oven me aur 30 min rakhna hai...toh yeh sab khatam karke, 2 ghante ke baad aati hoon...theekh hai Byeeee..

NairaM (angry): Naira....abhi ke abhi ghar aaoo..

Naira: Maa...but...her mother cuts the phone.Naira is angry at the interruption. She receives a text from her dad.

Naitik: Princess....aaajaaaa..warna Mrs Singhania mera toast banaa degi...pleasseeeee..

Naira sighs and a small smile breaks out in her face. She loves her Papa the most in this world. He is more like a friend to her. Her mother has been a school principal her whole life and hence is naturally very dominating and strict. She is very formal and calls her husband as Mr Singhania. She is the supreme commander of the house and no one dares to upset her or go against her wishes. Naira is already in her bad books as she has decided to pursue her Phd in microbiology. Her mother wanted her to take Biochemistry.

With all these thoughts she reaches home. Her house is quiet like a classroom. She peeps in the drawing room, the place is spic and span. She quietly steps in and is about to get up the stairs, when she hears a whiplash like 'kadak' voice..

NairaM: gande joote pahen ke kahan jaa rahi ho?

Naira (quickly removing shoes): Sor..sorry Maa...bhool gayi...

Her mother approaches her. Naira gets scared and steps back

NairaM: pata nahi aaj kis virus ya bacteria ko leke aayi hai..haath dhoye ache se?

Naira: Ji maa....sanitize kar liya hai..

NairaM: Pata nahi kya sochke microbiology liya...the future is Biochemistry...

Naitik: arre Mrs Singhania...aap tayaar nahi huyi? Who log 1 ghante me aa jayenge..

Naira: Kaun papa?

NairaM: ghar pe mehmaan aa rahe hai...Mr and Mrs Rajesh Kapoor....yeh tshirt jeans badlo aur maine keerti se kaha hai tumhe tayaar karne...yeh Naksh aaya nahi ab tak..Mr Singhania..zaraa phone kijiye..

Naira stands there confused. Following another barking order by her mother, she rushes with her bag upstairs to her room.

Naira: keerti Bhabhi....yeh sab kya naya drama hai...kaun hai Mr Kapoor aur mujhe kyun tayyar hone ko kaha hai?

Keerti (closing door): Baith...bataati hoon..pehle promise kar gussa nahi karegi...Naira promises her sister-in-law.

Keerti: Mr Kapoor tere naanu ke best friend ke bete hai. Tere Naanu aur Mr Kapoor ke papa apni dosti ko rishtedaari me badalna chahte the....magar ho na saka...aur ab tere Naanu nahi rahe...toh unke best friend ki ichaa hai....kisi tarah rishtedaari ho jaaye...