Roommates

Dr Johnson (her guide): Well...hello young lady.. how are you doing today?

Naira: I am doing good Sir..

Dr Johnson: Please call me John...let me get you started. I have another student with me. Lets go over to the lab to meet her.

Dr Johnson introduces a fellow researcher – Teena Mathews. The girls talk and she helps Naira settle in the lab.

Teena: So where are you staying?

Naira: The Westend apartments, on Mount Siblis road...

Teena: That's too far from the university and I have heard there are lots of thefts around. You have a room mate?

Naira: No..i am staying alone...

Naira: That's nice...you can get over guys for fun..you single? Or do you have a boyfriend?

Naira(ashamed, sad): I...I am single..I mean..i just got divorced..

Teena: Oh..I am sorry...lets hope you find someone real nice real quick...this city is full of young, single men, you can take your pick..hey do you want to join me for dinner.. I am going with some friends.

Naira: No..i will be fine....

Naira finishes her first day and goes home all tired. She picks up her father's photo, her phone rings.

Naksh: Naira....kaisi hai tu? Aaj university ka pehla din kaisa tha?

Naira: main achi hoon Bhaii....first day was nice...iss mahine mujhe sirf references collect karne hai...next month se actual research shuru hoga..

Naksh: chalo acha hua...mann lagake padhna....you have a bright future...acha tera apartment kaisa hai? Tum akeli rehti ho..mujhe fikar hoti hai...

Naira: aap fikar mat kijiye....waise bhi aadat ho gayi hai...akele rehne ki..

Naksh (sad): Naira..please...beeti baton ko bhool jaoo...koshish toh karo..

Naira: Ji Bhai...someone knocks on her door.

Naira: acha Bhai..main phone rakhti hoon...mujhe dinner banana hai..

She cuts the call and opens the door. There is no one outside. She steps inside to close the door when she feels a great force pushing her on the couch. Someone presses her head on the couch and a strong hand holds both her hands back.

Man (voice): Don't move or scream..else you will get hurt..

Naira gets shit scared and tries to get up and see the face of the attacker. He presses her head with greater force, submitting her face on the cushion. She cannot see anything but can hear another person moving in the room, taking her stuff.

Man (voice): Lets move mate..we are done..

Man (voice): We are leaving honey! Don't call the cops...or next time I will kill you !...

They both leave the house. Naira stays on the couch the same way they have left her. She is terribly shaken and is trembling badly. She looks around the room, they have taken away her luggage, laptop and purse with cash and cards..

Sweat pours down her face and she gets up slowly and shuts the door and sits down listening for any sound.. the stillness of her room is broken by a ringing noise. She gets startled and jumps, the noise is coming from below the couch. She bends gingerly and with trembling hands and teary eyes picks her cell phone.