Part 18

INLINE COMMENT PLZ...!

The lights come back on – The truth dawns on both Kartik and Naira! They find it even more difficult to see each other in the brightness !

Naira's brain is confused – one moment before Kartik was kissing her with so much intensity as if she mattered the most to him, he couldn't live without her and now – he is not meeting her eyes.

Kartik on the other hand is disturbed as he realizes he just lost his careful control – he was increasingly getting attracted to Naira since many days and today if she hadn't confessed her love – would they have gone the distance! He bangs his fist against the couch.

Naira (shaky voice): Kaar..tik..you..don't love me? She cannot herself meet his eyes. Tears flow down and she holds her knees together. She feels cold.

Kartik: Naira...I...I am really sorry...I..I think you got me wrong..

Naira breaks down crying loudly. She feels rejected, guilty, dirty everything. Kartik wants to comfort her but he keeps his hands to himself.

Naira gets up and runs to her room, shutting the door and locking herself. She wants to crawl to the darkest corner now, where no one can see her ! She gets inside the tiny closet of her room and crawls between her suitcases and clothes. Her mind plays various images of her and Kartik kissing – it makes her feel cheap and dirty. She rushes out of the closet and gets into the shower – scrubbing her body raw, crying continuously.

She doesn't know how long she has been in the shower. Her eyes drop off, when she hears a knock on her bedroom door out. She gets up from the shower feeling weak and wobbly. She ties the bathrobe and comes out to her bedroom. She jumps when she hears the knock again. She doesn't want to face kartik now..

Teena voice: Nairaaaa...are you there? Hellooooo?

Naira realizes Teena is back, she wipes her tears and tries to look calm and opens the door.

Teena: There you are....whats with you guys! I called you both so many times...you guys didn't bothered to answer me or even call back....thank god I had my key....i could come in....Where is Kartik?

Naira (looking down): Kar...Kartik...I...I don't know...he must be in his room...I need to change..

Teena: he isn't anywhere in the apartment...he isn't answering his phone too...is it his day off today?

Naira: Hmm....I need to change. She shuts the door. She somehow manages to change her clothes and get ready to face Teena all the while afraid how she will face Kartik.

Teena: I made some coffee...whats for lunch? Where the hell is our chef-boy Kartik? Whats wrong with you? You are so blank looking? Hows your ankle?

Teena chatters on with one after another question – Naira has no energy and will to answer even a single one of them. Her mind is busy playing that humiliating moment of rejection !

Naira: my ankle is okay...How is your dad?

Teena: he is fine..no surgery required...we took him to the doctor..blahblahblah...Naira can see Teena's lips and hands moving, her mind is playing other set of questions...

Naira (mind): Kartik mujhse pyaar nahi karta hai? Toh phir woh kiss..

Miss Singhania...I will take care of you...

Shhh..Shhhh...you are safe here.....do you wanna cry? You will feel nice..

Here is your Fanta...Naira..you are looking beautiful..tumhe toh koi bhi mil jaayega..