Back Home

Harry stepped off the carriage and looked up at Hogwarts. The castle was as magnificent as ever with it's towers that seemed to touch the sky and grounds that seemed to go on into the horizon. He could see students walking in the huge doors to the castle. Then he spotted the boats crossing the lake. Harry could see Hagrid's gigantic silhouette in the lead boat. Harry smiled. After all, he was back home.

Professor Mcgonagall was the new headmaster and had sent letters to all of last years seventh year students inviting them all back to properly finish the year as eighth years. It was not required and only twenty or so seventh years had chosen to return. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were three of the few who did.

"Shall we head inside then?" Hermione asked from behind Harry, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah, suppose so." Harry said and they made their way to the castle.

Once inside the castle doors they headed to the Great Hall. Harry spotted Neville, Seamus, and Dean sitting in the middle of the Gryffindor tables and made a beeline towards them. Seconds after Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat down Professor Mcgonagall stood up at the teachers table.

"Attention students! It is now time for the sorting ceremony! Please stay quiet while the sorting is taken place!" With that she placed the sorting hat on a stool and started reading the first name off the list.

"Addams, Blake!"

A short girl with long brunette hair and freckles sat on the stool and Professor Mcgonagall placed the sorting hat on her head. Within seconds the sorting hat called out...

"Hufflepuff!"

The Hufflepuff tables erupted in applauds and cheers as Blake Addams went to sit down, smiling.

◇◇◇

     After all the first years had been sorted and everybody had stuffed themselves to the bursting point with the feast Professor Mcgonagall stood once again.

"Attention students! I have a few announcements to make before I release you. First, all classes will begin Monday. You will receive your schedules Monday morning at breakfast. Second, seeing as last years events destroyed parts of the castle we've had to make different arrangements for dormitories and common rooms. Prefects will lead their houses to their new common rooms please. Goodnight." Professor Mcgonagall said.

All at once everybody stood up and started chatting. Making their way out of the Great Hall. Harry and Ron simultaneously stood up to leave but were immediately pulled back down in their seats by Hermione.

"What was that for?" Ron asked, looking at his girlfriend.

"Don't you two remember? Professor Mcgonagall said in the letter that returning seventh years stay in the Great Hall after the opening feast." Hermione said.

"Oh yeah I forgot about that." Harry said, turning to look at Professor Mcgonagall who was making her way down.

"Eighth years come here please!" Professor Mcgonagall said. Everybody who had remained behind stood and gathered around her.

"Now as you all know the common rooms and dormitories have been changed but it will be even more different for all of you. Seeing as the common rooms and dormitories are only for students up to seventh year you all will have separate arrangements. Eighth years will have their own common room and dormitories. But there will be no separation of houses. Now if you all will follow me I will lead you to your new common room." Professor Mcgonagall said and started walking out of the Great Hall.