C H A P T E R • S I X T E E N

THE MONSTER INSIDE THE BOY AWOKE WITH A HOWL. Or what some might call a laugh. Some might've called it beautiful. All would know it to be deadly.

The deep song rung through the air, arousing alertness. All three teens previously tangled up in their high school drama came to a frozen halt.

Two of them were confused as to where exactly the deep ring of laughter erupted from but Gola strangely recognized it instantly. His laughter was the melodic theme song of both her nightmares and dreams.

She briskly turned around to face the shadow prince.

Beaumont had walked confidently with his head high for as long she had known him but the way he walked towards her now was pure arrogance. He floated regally like a king to bask in the praise of one of his lower subjects. Like a predator prowling, toying with its prey before devouring.

"Elenora." He sighed breathily in her ear. Or was that heaven sighing?

Gola gasped at the sensation of his oddly warm breath fanning her ear. Quickly taking a step back out of his reach. Although before she could get too far he tightly grabbed a hold of one of her wrist, bringing her hand to his lips.

His lips seemed to be composed of rose petals as he lightly brushed them against her goosebump laiden skin. Beaumont's now crimson eyes never left Gola's as he did so.

Gola wanted to storm the gods. The stars were certainly plotting her downfall. He would be her undoing.

"Let go of me!" she hissed, attempting to snatch back her hand. To no avail. "Let go of him!"

Beaumont or rather the demon inside of him had the audacity to look amused. He silently flipped over her hand in his, tracing the dark lines of her palm with a feathery finger. "Why, I thought you'd be pleased with my new costume. You seem to grow fond of the boy as of late."

Again. As always in these situations Gola needed a moment. She needed a moment to process that she was having a conversation with a demon inside of Beaumont's body. "We're just friends. And I don't have to explain myself to you, a monst—"

Gola stopped sentence as the shadow prince brought his lips down on her hand. Trailing deep kisses from her wrist to her fingertips. Lingering to allow each fingertip to caress his lips. Her head swarmed and her heart beat furiously with the sound of war in her ears.

What's wrong with me? Why can't I pull away? He's a shadow demon. A monster for goodness sake!

"The carcass was without use. Empty. No soul." The foul thing inside of Beaumont informed her cooly. His voice was gentle but cold. "And wouldn't it be lovely if the gentleman were actually dead?"

"No!" Gola snapped, snatching her hand away. And taking serval steps backward. As if snapping out of a trance.

A smile dawned on him. But it was as cruel as his crimson eyes.

"Oh but he will die, Elenora. A shadow demon has taken him to the sunless world. Where his soul with fade and decay until there is nothing left. By then his body will have crumbled into a pile of rot."

"How could you do this you heartless devil?"

"Oh I didn't but I'll surely have to generously award whoever did." He fumed. Although he'd do the exact opposite.