C H A P T E R • N I N E T E E N

"WHY DID YOU DO IT?" Gola boldly demanded Yvonne, mindlessly exploring the gowns without an ounce of attentiveness.

Yvonne smiled not with her lips but rather her eyes. "And just what did I do, Miss?"

Gola gave a wary glance around, watchful of perked ears. she'd caught sight of Nyx watching their interaction out of the corner of her eye. "You You sold my daddy those candles, you pretended to be an elder vendor at the apple festival, you've been following me disguised as a crow..." Silence and Forced breathing drowned out the booming blissful sounds of the dress boutique around them.

Gola had been so sure of herself when she'd asked but now doubt crept in her her heart stealing her confidence like a thief in the night. So uneasily she shifted her weight and glances around the room while she waited for Yvonne to be angry and call her crazy.

Instead Yvonne let out a whole hearted laugh.

For some reason this boiled Gola's blood. "Why are you laughing?" she hissed, her eyes wildly searching for something, anything funny.

The two girls must look like normal teenage girls did. looking as if they were gossiping about boys to anyone who didn't know them instead of potentially dark magic and certain death.

"Took you long enough." Yvonne shrugged, her chest still lightly vibrating with soft laughter. "I thought I'd have to spell it out for you."

"spell what out for me?"

"That I'm a witch."

"That I knew."

Yvonne clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes. "Then say it. Call me a witch. Call me a witch by name."

"Why?"

"Little girl just say it and then I'll tell you why!" Yvonne snapped, exasperated.

Gola huffed like a child then in a flat emotionless tone said, 'oh powerful witch yvonne tell me why it is you've deceived me so.' Then rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

Yvonne narrowed her eyes into slits. "I've deceived no one, due to the curse I was not able to inform you that I was a witch. if I had I'd ...well what's left of me would have instantly turned to ashe."

Gola faked a yawn. "And why do I care? I've seen two shadow demons, a demonic ghost child, a demonic goat, an impossibly large wolf and a pretty shady tree."

"You care because I can break the curse and ensure your friends and sisters safety and what do you mean by 'shady tree'?"

Gola stood at attention with the possible prospect of saving her friends and her sister. "Before I tell you anything, what's in this for you?"

"Half of this curse is my fault , I owe it to your grandmother to save y'alls pathetic skins and I will be affected if the curse Isn't broken just as everyone else."

A billion questions formed like bullets in Gola's head ready to shoot Yvonne down.

How did you know my grandmother? Am I my grandmother? What curse? How are you involved with the curse? Why me?

Yvonne could see the gears turning and quickly added, 'This is no time for a thousand questions, bloodbond with me and let's end this. let's end him.

"but-

"I'll be over tomorrow night." Yvonne cut Gola short, sashaying out of the store with Amercia on her heels.

Defeated and highly confused Gola joined Nyx and Yona who'd been partially selecting dresses and somewhat watching her and Yvonne's uncommon meeting with decided scrutiny. "Apparently were having a sleepover tomorrow night. Did you find a dress?"

Yona nodded gleefully like a small child, raising an embroidered scarlet ball gown. Nyx silently although with beam raised a simple inky knee length bodycon dress.

"A witch huh?" Nyx voiced aloud.

"I knew it." Yona replied seriously, earning burst of laughter from both Nyx and Gola.