CHAPTER • TWENTY-TWO

BACK TO THE PRESENT

THE SHADOW PRINCE DID ALL HE KNEW HOW TO DO, FOLLOW HID HEART. His precious Elenora. After all he'd followed her into death, he'd follow her anywhere. Always and Forever.

He'd followed her through the kitchen, past a rather distressed looking young woman. All the way back to her small get together of acquaintances.

A complex abundance of emotions echoed through his unearthly being. First he felt—he felt. It was a strange sensation, breath coursing through his collapsed lungs, butterflies blooming in his decayed heart, life tingling and teaming at his fingertips. He could remember how it felt to be human. He could recall how it felt to be.

Memories hit him all at once like a devouring tsunami of hazy nostalgia. Moonlight pouring through his broken rooftop, The smoothness of his bow gliding gently across the strings of his violin, slowly sinking into the cool river on a scorching star lit night, the bewitching sound of her laughter.

It was her. It was always her. It had been Elenora who'd taught him how to feel alive when he'd only been surviving. Of course she'd be the sole reason he was able to feel as if he were flourishing in his death instead of the crushing frustration of his purposeless prolonged existence.

Its how he'd been certain that his beloved had finally returned. Nearly two decades ago he'd felt for the first time in over a hundred years. Whenever that breath of life had resonated through him he'd begun searching for her again instantly.

It was the dawn of both unhinged madness and a deep peace.

The second thing he felt was a hideous hunger. Some twisted part of him that demanded he lure each and every one of the young maidens back to the sunless world. The most horrific part wasn't that corrupt part of him could often be ruthlessly dominant but rather that wicked part of him could be reasonable. Or sensibly seductive to his uncertainty.

Right now it or rather the darker side of him coaxed of how devilishly powerful he'd be if he captured all of the young maidens as brides.

How can we be so sure its her? I mean she herself said that she wasn't Elenora. Take these young women. surely they are beautiful enough, perhaps even a few are virgins. They'd make fine gifts for the goblin lord who favors you above all.

If you were to take all the women, you'd never again be alone with only darkness at your side.

Take her if you must but them as well, surely six is better than one.

"Don't even think about it." One of the young women sternly warned him, garing him directly in the eye. For a second he'd thought he'd finally lost any sanity or sense that once clung to the shadows of the faint residue of what was once his soul. Being spotted by a mortal? Impossible! Then those awful arresting emerald eyes struck and stabbed him like a knife.

He'd remember them always.

The witch!

Blazing rage ignited in an instant. The audacity, the nerve of the little she-devil! How dare she show her face in this house, to sit side by side the innocent girl she murdered?! Or dare look in the eyes of her damned lover?!

Damned, doomed, cursed! by her nonetheless! This was all entirely her fault!

She'd stood in the way back then. No doubt it's been her and all her ignorant tricks now!