CHAPTER • TWENTY-SIX PART ONE.

SOMETHING INSIDE GOLA GAVE WAY AND WEPT UPON SEEING YONA GLIDE DOWN THE STAIRS. she could hear her heart shattering into dust. Yona looked breathtaking in her vintage inspired ball gown. Ethereal even.

If Gola tried hard enough. Tilted her head enough to the side and closed her eyes, she could pretend that everything was ok. If she just focused on the light of her sisters smile instead of the unnatural halo of shadows hanging around her head everything could be ok. She needed to be ok.

A ghastly memory of Elenora's short life sprouted in Gola's head. Herself dawning a dazzling crimson ball gown styled to mirror a rose. She was happy, hopeful, she was about to take her last breaths.

A lone tear trickled down Gola's rouged face as she released a shaky breath. "Wow."

"You both look decent enough." Sylvia mumbled with crossed arms. It was as much as complement that they'd get out of her. "But—"

"But?" Yona challenged, determined to let nothing ruin her night. Not some demonic ghoul, not some suddenly sympathetic witch.

"I must advise you not to go out tonight. It's halloween night and we already know that there is at least one lunatic witch out get you."

Yona rolled her eyes and started towards the door. "If you want me to stay here your gonna have to chain me up in the basement."

"Well I tried." Sylvia gave a nonchalant shrug. "And that can certainly be arranged."

———
DEAN HAD SNUCK AWAY ON AN EARLY BREAK. Determined to see his two princess attend prom.

"At least pretend to be happy, Gola." He sighed in exasperation, raising the camera yet again.

To which Gola gave a weak smile. It wasn't that she was unhappy to be attending prom. It was that she was nostalgic for the days when the ever looming prom was a problem.

When Dean gave a defeated groan and rolled his eyes he earned a genuine grin. But some tears too.

"Don't get emotional on me, pumpkin." Her father pulled her into his arms. "I know your growing up so fast but if you cry, I cry."

"I just had to be born into the cheesiest family in the world." Yona rolled her eyes, sauntering into the group hug.

"Ok ladies we're all gonna be late." Dean announced, grabbing the car keys off of the fireplace mantle when Sylvia awkwardly cleared her throat.

————
IMPRESSIVE. That was the first word that came to mind upon entering the school gym for prom. They'd taken the masquerade theme above and beyond. There was a grande Crystal chandelier now twinkling in faux moonlight, electric candles blanketing the food table, knights of armor stood at the entrances, and mask. Mask everywhere and on everyone.

The masquerade mask were unsettling to say the least. They made it difficult or impossible to know who anyone was. Plus flashbacks of Gola's pervious life kept appearing in a flash before her eyes. Repeatedly replaying the night she died.

Yona had already disappeared into the throng of moving bodies. Dancing freely to some hip-hop song rapping passionately about conquering the night.

The boom of the bass mirrored the beat of Gola's heart. She felt certain it would jump out of her chest at any moment.

If that weren't enough a great tingling sensation crawled over her body leaving an ocean of goosebumps. That along with her ears popping and a shift in the air left her feeling a great deal uneasy.

"Did you feel that?" Kennedy shivered wrapping her arms around herself.

When did she get here? Gola's clutch on the railing became impossibly tighter. "Yvonne is here."

"We're all here." Kennedy corrected with a sigh. "And then some."

The way Kennedy said the last statement made Gola whip her head around to look at her. She didn't need to inquire the meaning or grave tone. She knew exactly who she meant.

It was only when Kennedy's eyes met her own did she notice the change. One was now a glittering obsidian. Far too dark to be a contact or illusion.

They'd messed with ancient magic. And this was either her blessing or her curse.

"How'd you know?" Breathlessly, Gola asked, torn between backing away or getting closer. One too many life times had friends revealed themselves as foes.

Kennedy seemed to be expecting that question. Like she'd knew Gola would ask that too. "The dreams—" she shook her head violently as if she could shake it all away. "I've been seeing them since I woke up. There are good things. Happy and warm. But there are also bad things. Terrible. Awful. Wicked. Godless things. And when I wake they all come true."

Her voice cracked. As did Gola's heart.

She found herself unable to give false reassuring words. So soundless she placed her colorless satin gloves hands over Kennedy and offered a reassuring squeeze. She intended to fix this.

"I never wanted this, Elenora. I never wanted this." Kennedy sobbed as quietly as she could manage. Her eyes wide and teeth slightly chittering.

"Sorry." Gola managed weakly. "I'm so sorry." This is all my fault. The sight. She'd been cursed with the sight. Intuition beyond this world. And the next.  She'll have nightmares for the rest of her life.

The sight is a powerful gift. Certainly useful. But it is weary. And will wear away at the soul bearings it. If not controlled.

"I've seen you die—tonight."