CHAPTER - THIRTY

(Trigger warning)
Mentions of suicide and death.

GODHOOD DAWNED ON ETHAN LIKE A SUN RISING INSIDE OF SKIN AND BONES. His stance was that of a fighter, elegant and set. His golden hair seemed to glow, his fierce crimson eyes cut through the darkness of the night.

The boy was too young to be damned. And he'd never been so beautiful.

"Aren't you worried about what I'm gonna do?" He asked Nyx with a harsh chuckle.

Afraid Nyx's careless bitter comment provoked the boy turned demon Gola defensively jumped in front of her. The act shocked herself more than anyone else. Why die protecting a fake friend? But she knew it was a little more complex than that.

"Don't hurt her!" She screamed, her arms thrown open wide as if somehow they could shield them from everything.

Ethan snorted, shaking his head in amusement. "Enough of the melodrama, Elenora. You've watched too much television."

"Gola. And I'm the one that's melodramatic? I didn't kiłl myself after hearing rumor that my girlfriend had died."

He was cold now. There was no humor in his chuckle. "Ouch! I know we've never got along much but I'd imagined you'd be a bit more grievous than this. I know Yona isn't dead. I became what I am to ensure that."

The bitter laughter that erupted from behind her was startling and familiar. "You've done nothing but ensure your own demise."

"Perhaps, brother." Ethan replied coldly. Taking a calculated step closer to the two girls. "But not mine alone."

The speed in which Ethan lunged was unnatural. In the blink of an eye he was there and then he was gone. With fist wrapped tightly round Nyx's neck.

Impossibly so, he hadn't been fast enough. Nyx already had a gun to Gola's chest.

"You've always been so precious to me." Nyx was whispering in Gola's ear. It wasn't Nyx's voice she heard but Levi's instead.

BANG!

The sound of the gun rang out and bounced off the trees. Birds squawked and fled, Gola shrieked. Collapsing into herself. Her blood pooled and seeped into the ground.

Nyx fell unconscious beside her.

Shocked, she choked on her own blood. The boom of the gun danced in circles around her skull. "I-i don't think, I don't think...."I don't think I want to die. She meant to say but death did not care.

She felt the lush, soft hairs of an animal gently nuzzling against her cheek. It was a magnificent crimson eyed goat.

"The memory of you will eternally burden this heart, it is a woe almost too sweet to horde." Levi sounded sincere. He was in his demon form. She had the gut feeling that this was his true form.

It was unknown if she'd chosen her poison in the form of a broken boy with a crown of golden thorns. Perhaps her hands were outstretched, reaching to fist his neck in between her fingers. It was all a blur, her vision was darkening around the edges, the world was losing her.

She fought against the weight of her lidded eyes. Prying them open, again and again, if only for a few seconds. Grasping with every bone in her body to hold onto some semblance of life.

To no avail.

Darkness came and veiled her eyes. She hadn't known that she'd fallen under until upon looking up and saw a moonless sky embroidered with stars and felt the warmth of someone kneeled beside her. The metallic stench of her blood mingled with the smell of cold wet earth and engulfed her senses. A song was sang by bare branches of trees surrounding her along with the hoot of an owl.