014

chapter fourteen: the lizard

rebecca was sleeping in her room when she woke up to the phone ringing.

"not again." rebecca groaned as she got up from her bed to answer the phone.

"hopper residence." rebecca said not even trying to hide the tiredness in her voice.

"rebecca, i need you to listen to me very carefully. your father might be in danger. he's in the upside down." joyce said as rebecca's heart sink.

"he's what?" rebecca said with a worried tone.

"honey, try not to worry, we're going to save him. we need you to stay away from this. your father wouldn't want you involved." joyce told her before rebecca hung up the phone.

after hanging up the phone, rebecca fell to her knees and she felt her chest tighten.

she was beyond worried about her father. she felt hopeless, all she could do was sit and wait until she heard news.

she was panicking, her breathing was getting shallow and she felt like the walls were caving in on her.

she pulled her knees up to her chest and she kept breathing faster and faster. it was hurting to breathe.

she didn't even hear her door open, she was too focused on her father.

"beck?" she heard a voice say and she met the persons gaze.

"beck, hey, hey, hey." steve said seeing she was having a panic attack.

"my dad... my dad..." rebecca said in between breathes and steve sat beside her to try and calm her down.

"don't talk, okay? just... just focus on me. okay? breathe with me." steve said as rebecca synced up with his breathing.

steve noticed that she was beginning to calm down and he wiped the tears that had fallen down her cheeks.

"what happened, doll?" steve asked softly caressing her face.

"joyce called me and said my dad is in the upside down." rebecca said as steve brought her unto the couch and she sat with him.

"listen to me, okay? your dad isn't gonna leave you, beck. i know you're scared but it's gonna be okay." steve said before pulling her into a hug.

"i'm sorry you had to see me like that." rebecca said as steve pulled her closer to him and she cuddled into his side.

"don't be sorry. i'm glad i got here when i did, you don't deserve to go through this alone." steve said holding her close to him.