017

chapter seventeen: the rule of law

steve went over to the door of the bus, but before he could get off, rebecca grabbed his hand making him look back at her.

"steve, this is crazy." rebecca said as he looked into her scared eyes.

"someone has to be the bait, beck." steve said.

"and it has to be you?" rebecca asked.

"someone has to stay here to make sure the kids are safe." steve said as rebecca shook her head.

"there's still something that i have to tell you first." rebecca told him as he grabbed her hands gently.

"tell me when i come back." steve said as she felt a tear fall down her cheek.

"what if you don't come back for me to tell it?" rebecca said as her voice cracked and steve gave her a small smile before wiping her tears.

"i will." steve replied before kissing her forehead and walking off the bus.

he walked slowly, slightly swinging his bat and she could hear him whistling.

"come on, buddy." steve said as he continued whistling.

"come on." rebecca whispered.

"what's he doing?" max asked coming back down.

"expanding the menu." dustin replied as they watched through the window.

"come on, come on, buddy. dinner time. human tastes better than cat, i promise." steve said.

"oh, god." rebecca whispered.

"he's insane." max said.

"he's awesome." dustin said.

rebecca's eyes widened when she saw the demogorgon getting closer to steve.

"steve, watch out!" lucas shouted.

"a little busy here!" steve shouted back.

"three o'clock! three o'clock!" lucas shouted.

steve turned and he saw what everyone else saw, a group of demogorgons surrounding him.

"oh, my god. oh, my god." rebecca said.