FIVE

|05

|05.| OLD FLAME

THE MIKAELON BROTHERS have received a letter from someone who they thought they wouldn't hear from ever again. Klaus and Elijah are still reeling the body they found in their home, sent from that person. The hybrid continues to reread the letter while Elijah examines the woman's body to make sure she's really dead.

"I remember her a better poet," Klaus mutters a scowl as he hands the letter to his brother.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that this is lacking in poetry," Elijah glances at the letter as if it were nothing and hands it back.

"She wants us to find her." Klaus throws the letter back on the body. "So let's."

The hybrid claps Elijah on the shoulder and heads for the front door, but the older brother stops him.
"Are you so eager, Niklaus?" Klaus pauses in the middle of the courtyard and sighs.

"Last time you even said her name was a thousand years ago, when you told me to never speak it again in your presence," Elijah stands away from the body.

"So, am I to wait as she leaves her little calling-cards all over my home?" Klaus asks in annoyance.

Elijah looks uncomfortable, and at first, he is unable to look Klaus in the eyes. "There's something you should know."

The hybrid's eyes widen in horror at the idea that his brother has kept a secret from him. Elijah finally looks up to meet his gaze.

"When Mother seized control of my mind, unleashing those monstrosities that lurk behind the red door...I saw something."

Klaus seems torn between wanting to know the truth and remaining blissfully ignorant. Listening to their conversation, Cora stands behind one of the pillars on the balcony and scrunches her eyebrows as Elijah stands to his feet and walks toward his brother.

"Aurora was there." Elijah states and Cora purses her lips as the name of his lover from a thousand years ago is revealed.

"If you mean to confess a thousand-year-old secret that will divide us after our hard-won reconciliation, then te absolvo, brother—there is nothing you could have done involving her that would be worse than what she did to me," Klaus says in annoyance.

"Please do not dismiss this, Niklaus—"

"Whatever it is, it can wait!" Klaus cuts him off. "We have a plate of here-and-now problems, and I mean to clear it."

He claps Elijah on the shoulder affectionately. "If it makes you feel any better, we can kill Aurora together! Then neither of us need play her little mind-games ever again, hmm?"

Elijah looks as though he still wants to confess, but after a moment, Klaus turns and walks away, leaving a silent Elijah behind with the body Aurora left them. The tribrid walks down the steps, giving the noble brother a look, who seems torn as he sees her, and she follows the hybrid out onto the street. She catches up to him and grabs his hand.