TWELVE

|12

|12.| WAR OF HEARTS

THE TRIBRID SITS ON A PARK BENCH at Jackson Square, watching children play nearby and Hayley trudge around aimlessly with a mournful expression as she visits the tree sapling where they buried Jason's heart. Suddenly, Klaus appears from behind the park bench and Cora feels his presence. It's obvious that she is still deeply in grief, and her voice is emotionless when she speaks to him.

"Come to pay your respects?" Instead of making a snarky comment as expected, Klaus gives her a small smile.

"I've come here to comfort you." Cora plays with her fingers which causes him to sigh. He looks over at a baby tree several feet in front of them. "Though it is a bit macabre, isn't it? Burying his heart under a sapling?"

"At least the girls will have a place to visit him as well as my father and Hayley." The hybrid gives her a sympathetic look, but Cora can't meet his eyes.

"I am sorry... for your loss," Klaus softly says and Cora hums.

"Everybody's sorry. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference, does it?" Cora mutters, staring at the ground and Klaus shrugs.

"Perhaps not. I've heard time heals all wounds, but that has not been my own experience. I wonder if keeping busy might help distract you from your grief?" Cora turns and looks at Klaus, part curious and part suspicious.

"You have something in mind?"

"Aurora's still at large. No doubt plotting her revenge. She used Marian to get to me once. She may do so again by using you," Klaus says and looks into her eyes. "The two people I care about are quiet vulnerable. I'd like to provide some safeguarding."

"You know, it's not your job to protect me, Nik. I'm more than capable of watching my back," Cora says after a moment of thinking.

"I agree that you're capable of protecting yourself. But I choose to protect you because of how much I care about you." The couple stare at each other lovingly and Cora reluctantly sighs, not wanting him to worry about her.

"You are always taking care of me," Cora mutters and huffs. "Fine."

Klaus seems pleased, but before he can say anything more, his phone buzzes in his jacket pocket. He scowls in annoyance as he stands to his feet and pulls it out to answer it.

"Can I assume our very gifted sister has finally found my lunatic ex?" Klaus says through the phone

"From the look of things... I would say that the lunatic ex found Freya," Elijah replies back with a more serious tone and Cora lifts her head, looking at Klaus worriedly.

"Well, then, we'll procure another witch to track her," Klaus says in annoyance. There is a long pause before Elijah continues.

"There's no need. I got something."