TWENTY-ONE

|21

|21.| ALL I GAVE YOU IS GONE

THE NEXT EARLY MORNING FELT UNUSUAL compared to the other mornings. Klaus stares up at the ceiling as he lays in his bed with no clothing on with Cora lying next to him with her back turned towards him. The two both lay there in silence and wide awake as they're in deep thought. Their time spent together was never awkward, not even the moment they currently experienced, but what lives within their minds burdens them.

Klaus turns his focus onto the back of the woman he loves, seeing the birthmark he had seen when they shared the same bed in his mansion in Mystic Falls. He lifts his hand and gently presses his finger tips on the area of her birthmark, and Cora slightly smiles at his warm touch. She turns around to finally face him and she intertwined her fingers with his.

"Nik," Cora softly speaks up and the hybrid raises his eyebrows, listening to what she has to say next. "Thank you for everything you've done for me."

Not using his words to reply, he only smiles and sits up, propping himself up on his elbow and leans down to give her a gentle kiss. Cora returns the gesture and smiles up at him. They both pull away and Cora sits up, reaching for a shirt while Klaus looks to his side where his nightstand is placed. Once the tribrid finds all her clothes, she excuses herself and the hybrid sighs as he pulls out a tiny box from the drawer, wondering if there is ever a good time.

-

The hybrid had gotten dressed for the day and takes his daughters out of their play pen to keep them close to him for awhile. He stands in a room with the girls in his arms while Hope rests her head on his shoulder and Melody looks around their home.

"What better life might have awaited you, were another man your father? All those who have loved me, have lived to regret it." Klaus exhales sharply and looks between his daughters as they start to focus on him. "But I do know this, my littlest wolves, I will do right by you."

Klaus kisses the top of each of their heads and holds them close. He feels Elijah's presence as he appreciates him from behind, however Klaus doesn't look back.

"What do you want, Elijah?"

"I'm not foolish enough to ask your forgiveness, so I'll say it again..I had no choice." Elijah approaches his brother in a different way. "We protect this family at any cost."

"You think I' m not aware how heavy that burden is?" Klaus finally turns around to look at his brother.

"No, I think that this time...that burden is simply too much to bear." The hybrid stares at Elijah nothing to say, so Elijah leaves the room.