.29. Playing Games

When I woke up, I was surprised to see Mia gone. I sat up, ignoring the pain in my shoulder and looked around the dim room.

"Mia?" I called, hoping she was in the bathroom, but I got no response. I sat up more and stumbled out the bed, rubbing the stubble on my chin. I look in the bathroom but she definitely wasn't there.

I tried to calm my heart. Okay, maybe she's...downstairs. Getting food. Yeah. Yeah! See? Everything's alright!

I put on my shoes and looked around for the room key.

It wasn't here.

Okay, that's okay. Mia took it. She wouldn't leave. She wouldn't leave me. Right? Right?!

Drew, calm down. Just, go out there and find her.

I fix my hair and exit the room, and take the stairs instead of the elevator. I go down to the breakfast nook and only see two small families, smiling and talking.

No Mia.

I walk up to them nervously. "Hello," I try for a smile. "have you seen a girl, about..this high," I raise my hand to my neck, "big brown eyes, curly short brown hair? Maybe with glasses? Fair skin? Pink lips?"

The father shook his head. "Sorry, we didn't see anyone like that. Ask them," he pointed to the other family. "they've been here longer than us. Or ask someone in the lobby. I'm sure they saw her leave."

I nod and head for the lobby. The person  behind the desk was different than yesterday. She looked up at me with a friendly smile.

"Good morning, sir!" she beamed. "Can I help you?"

"Yes, my..wife. I woke up and she was gone. Have you seen a short woman? Short brown hair? Maybe glasses and pink lips?" I looked around nervously, a sick feeling washing over me, making my stomach turn.

"Um." she looked away and through for a second. "Yes, yes I did actually. She looked nervous. She left about an hour ago."

Oh my god.

"Di-did she say where she was going?" I place my hands on the desk.

"No. She-wait, yes, she said she was going to...Ohio. That's all she said."

"Ohio? Why would she go there?!" I frown, feeling my body shake.

"I don't know sir. I'm not sure why'd she leave you here either."

"No..no..." this couldn't be happening. Mia wouldn't leave me here!

I slam my hand on the desk, making the woman jump. I grabbed her by the shirt, her hazel eyes growing wide. "You're lying!" I scream. "You lying whore! Tell me where she is!"

"I-I..." her lip quivered. "I told you she went to Oh-"

I shook her furiously. "No! Where are you keeping her?! She wouldn't leave me! I know she wouldn't! Where is she now?! Before I punch your teeth in!"

She let out a squeak and tried to push me off her. I grabbed her hands and yanked her in, her stomach ramming against the marble desk.

She let out an 'oof', wincing in pain. I grabbed her by the hair and lifted her head up, staring me dead in the eyes.

Her face scrunched as I fisted her hair, pulling it hard.

"I'm going to say this once." I growl. "And I expect an honest answer, do you understand?"

She tried not to move her head too much. "Yes yes I understand!" She shook.

"Good. Now I want you to tell me exactly where she is or I'm going to bash your pretty little face in this desk. Got it?"