.37. Opening Up

Andrew

*Three weeks later*

I saw the life leave her eyes, her head loll to the side, her body slumping. I could feel her cold fingers, the slowing heartbeat, the blood over my hands.

Her eyes store blankly into the sky and my body shook.

No...no! NO! She cannot be dead! My Mia...my precious Mia! My wife, my light, my happiness...just slipped between my fingers like sand.

I lost her. And it's my fault.

What am I supposed to do without her? I'm nothing. Nothing means anything anymore.

I fucking shot her....she jumped in the way and I shot her. I was expecting me to be her on the ground. I was supposed to be the one shot, not her!

I wanted nothing more to join her. What was the point of life without her in it? Life was bleak and meaningless. I know it sounds cheesy but...damn Mia was literally my happiness. I couldn't find joy anywhere except with her.

My hand reaches for the gun and before I could even pick it up, my body was slammed against the road.

"NO!" I shouted, wiggling them off of me. "Let me go! Please!" I cried out desperately, trying my hardest to reach for my weapon.

"Silence! You are under arrest for the kidnapping of Amelia Roberts and attempted murder of Jamison Evans."

My heart picked up. I didn't want to be anywhere without my Mia. My eyes saw her on the ground, an officer next to her body, checking her pulse. The strong beam of light shone on her lifeless body from the helicopter, emphasizing her now pale skin. Normally, I'd be mad someone was touching my Mia, but it just saddened me more.

My wrists were pinned painfully to my tailbone and I heard the rattling of the handcuffs. Without thinking, I bucked off one of the officers off of me and immediately jumped to my gun.

I slipped my finger through the hole and put the muzzle to my temple. Before I could pull the trigger, I was dragged back by my legs, which lifted up my shirt and scrapped my stomach. My hand flung out, trying to grab at anything, but of course it didn't work.

I was yanked back by the collar of my shirt, causing me to choke. Then, someone came up beside me and stomped on my wrist, making me cry out and drop the gun.

My hands were pinned behind me again and the cold metal wrapped tightly around my wrists so tight I didn't think I could move them. They pinched at my skin, but I was so furious and sad, I stupidly attempted to break free, only hurting myself.

"Please!" I cry out. "Just kill me you cowards!"

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in court."

They yanked me to my feet and I looked down at Mia. Blood poured out from under her and out her wounds, making a crimson puddle, soaking her clothes.

"I killed you...." I muttered, the words not even making sense. It left a nasty taste in my mouth and my heart was beating rapidly. "I...didn't mean to..you just..I.." My breath quickened as they started walking me to the police cars. I was now hyperventilating, getting choked up by my own tears.

I was just like my father. I killed my wife. I-I fucking killed her. Accident or not, I vowed I wouldn't do it. But, I did...and..my child. It's gone too. I killed them both. I lost them both. My family...I...I...oh god.

The thought made me nauseous and I threw up over one of the polices shoes. My body was getting numb and I couldn't even feel my hands anymore, the cuffs were too tight.