.43. Welcome Back

I waited nervously, ready for anything they told me. I had to get at least three tests done on me.

One was a ECG, another was a coronary angiogram, like I knew what the fuck that was. And lastly, an MRI. Does blood samples count as a test too?

Well, whatever what was wrong with my heart, honestly, I wished it was life threatening so I could just die already and there's no one to stop me.

I waited on the examine table and have been sitting here, anxiously, for..what? an hour?

Finally, my doctor walks in, reading his clipboard, adjusting his glasses.

"Well Mr. Miller. It's a rare case but it seems as if you did not have a heart attack, but instead you have takotsubo cardiomyopathy, otherwise known as 'Broken Heart Syndrome'."

My face fell into a frown.

"The hell does that mean?" I don't know why it didn't click immediately with Mia, despite all the grieving I have went through this past month.

"Means you heart had a bit of damage-well-in your case, a lot of damage, due to stress. This can happen from losing a loved one, divorce, domestic abuse, physical stress, and even winning -or losing a lot of money, such as the lottery."

I just stare at him blankly. Well that makes a shitton of sense.

"But don't worry, Mr. Miller." he gruffed, wheeling his chair to his computer. "It's temporary and can be treated. Just rest and give it some time. If you can, maybe try going to a less stress-induced climate?"

"Can't." I looked down angrily. "After this, Im most likely going back to the psych ward."

"And is this when you had your sudden heart pain?"

"Yes."

"Right..well would you might telling me how this started?"

"What? My heart?"

"Yes." he readied his fingers over his keyboard. I burrow my eyebrows and think.

"I...needed to get out of my room. I was cooped up in there for days, it was driving me insane." I breathe. "So I took a walk and this..nurse..came up to me. She was talking to me about opening up and what they should do so trust them enough to do so...and....I thought of Mia...and...my heart..hurt. Really bad. I thought I was going to die."

"Could you breathe?" his fingers typed fast. I shook my head, then stupidly remember his back was to me.

"Barely." I shrugged. "I could barely get a breath."

"Mhm.." he finished typing and spun around to me. "Mia was the one on the news, correct? Your lover?"

"My wife...yes."

"Wife..ohh. Yeah, that'll do it for you." he was silent for a moment clicking away on his computer. "Now Andrew, I'm going to be honest with you.Yours was pretty bad. You must've really loved her."

"I did.." I blink my tears away, forcing down the lump in my throat.

"Have you had any recent injuries in the chest? Broken bones? Anything?"

"No." Not that I can recall.

"How long have you has these symptoms?"

"Just that day. Well...no. When Mia first got shot. I couldn't breathe. My chest hurt. Everything hurt."

"Well that's normal from seeing a loved one die." he types. "Okay do you know of any family medical history?"

"I know they're all fucking psychopaths." my teeth bare.