.33. On the Road Again

I felt the recoil shoot down my arm as I fired.

Both the girls screamed as Bill stumbled back, staring at his bloody hand.

"Bill oh my god!" Lilly screamed. Bill just looked at his wound in horror, his hand visibly shaking from across the room.

I aimed the gun to his head but Mia rammed into my side. "Andrew stop! Please! Stop killing people!" she reached for the gun but I pulled it out of reach.

"They're trying to take you away from me." I growled, tears still leaking down my face. "You're too special, Mia. You make me happy. Last time I was happy is when I was nine and my mother was still alive." I clench my teeth and wipe my face on my shoulder. "They always say to fight for what you love, so why is it when I do it, it's wrong?" I took a few steps towards Bill, his wife clinging onto him.

"It's not wrong, Andrew." Mia said gently, pulling me back. "You're just going about it all wrong. how your fighting is wrong. Just look at Lilly and Bill. He didn't have to..save her for them to be happy."

"Yeah but now look. They let someone else into their life and now Bill is missing a few fingers." I narrowed my eyes, squeezing the trigger. I wanted him dead for beating me. I wanted him dead for thinking he knows my Amelia, for thinking he can take her away from me.

"I understand you want to shield me from bad things, but this is life Andrew. This is how the game is played. Just...set the gun down. Please. For me."

I was silent.

"Just...give it to me, okay?"

I snarled and looked at her. "Last time you had a gun you aimed it at me."

"I already said I was sorry."

"Matter of fact, last time you had a gun we were in the same situation. Someone trying to take you away from me. Now the poor bastard's dead."

"Look, we can leave Andrew. Just...let's go. Leave them alone please."

"As long as this bastard knows his place." I said through clenched teeth.

"Okay, yes, Bill will behave. Right?" She said looking at him. He blinked wildly but then nodded, "Okay, he said will. Gun down, please."

I sighed and let my arm drop to my side. Mia sighed in relief. She tried to slowly reach for the gun but I snatched it away from her. I shoved it in my pants, the muzzle still a little warm.

I stumbled around the house, looking for any other phones. Once I didn't find any, I grabbed Mia and shoved her into the bedroom. I shut and locked the door, throwing my gun into my back pack and flopping on the bed, wincing from my stomach.

"Andrew...how bad did he hurt you?" Mia asked quietly.

"Dosent matter. Sit down, we're not leaving here for a while." I grumble into the pillow. When I didn't hear her move, I repeated myself. "Mia come sit down! I am not in the mood.."

It's totally not because I got humiliated and beat up by some old fuck.

She climbed into bed and all was quiet, apart from Bill grumbling from behind the door. I felt no guilt for shooting off his fingers. He got his comeuppance. He knew he'd win that fight, which is why he fought me. He took advantage of my physical state and then proceeded to kick me while I was down. Repeatedly.

I sighed and closed my eyes, falling asleep.

**

Two days later, I was feeling like me again. I no longer got flashes, didn't throw up every time I stood, and haven't woke up in pools of sweat. I'd say I was finally over it, and that means it's time to leave.