chapter ten

what makes me smile

you
in the morning light
after making love
all night.
||courtney peppernell||

THE PAST FEW MONTHS have been amazing. Chayse made me really happy and even let me stay at his house most nights. He didn't mind that I liked to get high, he just told me I had to smoke with him.

I ended up getting a job at this diner near my house. I liked it a lot there, only it was quiet.

I'm the type of person who loves to work. I can't stand sitting around while getting paid. That's why when I was young, I made a deal with myself to never get a desk job.

Aside from all the happiness in my life, there was one thing missing, Luke. Actually, Luke and Ayia.

I managed to set them up on a date and they hit it off instantly. Maybe not as instantly as Chayse and I, but it was like a couple waiting to happen.

The only thing I hate about it is that now we don't have time for each other. It's either I'm with Chayse or he's with Ayia. There's just no time.

"Everything okay, baby?" Chayse questioned, pulling me from my thoughts. We were currently watching a movie in his living room.

I nodded, then yawned. "I'm just tired."

He nodded, turned off the TV then lead us upstairs. I instantly laid down on his bed, feeling sleep trying to take me away. He climbed in after me, pulling me into his chest.

■■■

"Guys, we should have a party," Ayia practically yelled in the middle of the caf. She hasn't hung out with us in a while. Considering Chayse and I would have sex in the back on one of our cars during lunch and she'd be with Luke. She said he had somewhere to be today so she was lonely. We couldn't say no to her, well I couldn't, so we all sat together.

"My parents are gone for the week again," Chayse stated. The whole three months we've been together, I still haven't met his parents, even if I spend most of my time at his place.

"Alright. It's settled. Party Saturday night at Chayse's. Harmony, bring your makeup and everything, you're getting ready with me," Ayia smiled, then went on and on about how fun it's going to be.

"What's going on?"

I looked over and rolled my eyes at the what used to be red haired girl I disliked with a passion. She decided to dye her hair purple a few weeks ago.

"Oh, just a double date with Harmony, Chayse, Luke and I," Ayia lied.

I'm honestly proud of her. Once Reece found out about Chayse and I, she tried convincing me it was a bad idea. Ayia ended up standing up for her and me. I honestly don't remember much of that day, but Reece was stunned and hardly talked to us since.

"I would love to invite you, but fifth wheeling would be really awkward for you," I said to Reece, going along with the lie.

I could tell Chayse was tense with her here. He kept adjusting his arm around me so it was impossible for me to leave.

Reece just scuffed. "Whatever." And that's when she left.

With her gone for the past few months, I was able to open up a lot more. I didn't tell them as much as Luke knows, but I mentioned that my mom was actually a waitress and my dads a tattoo artist. I wasn't sure if I was ready to tell them about where I actually lived or not. To my surprise, they actually didn't get mad when I confessed to lying.

"Hey, Ayia," I got her attention. I didn't know if this was a bad idea or not, but it was worth a shot. "Why don't you get ready at my place instead?"

■■■

I paced around my kitchen, making sure I could make my house look a little less poor. I don't even know why I invited Ayia over. I've been to her house and it's nothing compared to this dump.

I was about to rearrange the plates sitting on the counter, but there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see a smiling Ayia.

"I didn't think you lived in a trailer," she said, making herself at home. I didn't know if she intended for that to be helpful, but it made my anxiety worse.

"We have exactly six hours until the party really starts. What you wanna do until then?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Watch a movie? Get stoned?"

I just laughed before leading her to my room. I let her flip through the TV I recently got while I rolled us a few joints. She settled on a rerun of Supernatural before lighting her joint.

We sat there for way too long, laughing at random scenes in the show.

"Sam is so hot," Ayia said, letting the smoke escape her lips.

"Nah, Dean is definitely the hotter brother," I replied, checking the time. "We should probably start getting ready."

She agreed, then ran to my closet. I could've expected her to pick out my outfit.

It didn't take long before she threw a mustard coloured button up shirt, black, lace bralette and black skinny jeans. Of course, she also made me wear my cutest panties, which weren't that impressive.

I didn't see the big deal in what I wore under my clothes. Chayse has basically seen every undergarment I own, which isn't a lot.

I threw on the outfit as she chose something for herself. I left the top three buttons undone, leaving a little bit of cleavage.

She settled on my Thrasher crop top, fish net leggings and ripped blue jeans. All of the outfit was mine, but I didn't mind. I even let her keep the pants because I hated the ripped on the back. It felt weird when I sat down.

She gushed over how hot I looked, but unbuttoned one more button then tucked the shirt in for me. I didn't know if I was revealing too much, but I didn't care.

"Damn, we look hot," I said, checking myself out in the mirror. She stood beside me with her phone in hands. She snapped a quick picture before posting it on social media.

By the time we finished completely getting blinged out, it was 9 at night. Ayia made me throw on a big pair of hoops that matched hers.

I drove us both to the party, arriving just as cars started pulling into the driveway.

When we made it inside, Ayia wanted to find Luke, so she dragged me with her. He happened to be outside with all his friends smoking cigarettes and probably weed. There was someone added to their small group who I hadn't noticed before.

The one with colorful hair, the name being Michael which I just found out a few weeks ago, had his arms wrapped around her. She was really pretty. Like really really pretty. She had perfect, full lips, the perfect jaw line, perfect curves. I doubt she's mean because Luke always talked about how they can't stand those fake girls who are just rude. Honestly, Michael did well chosing her.

"Hey," Luke smiled once he saw Ayia then gave her a quick kiss. His face fell once he saw me.

"Harmony, you haven't met Courtney yet have you?" Ayia asked. I shook my head, looking to the extremely pretty girl.

"Hey," she smiled.

God, even her voice is perfect.

"I'm gonna go find Chayse," I told Ayia then disappeared in the house.