Chapter 7: Land of Waves

They had been walking for nearly three hours before the Demon Brothers from Kiri decided to show up. And, just like last time, they attacked Kakashi-sensei first, using their chains to rip him apart before going after Tazuna. Unlike last time however, they were ready for it.

"Sasuke, now!" Naruto shouted, tossing the boy a length of ninja wire. He caught it and the pair ran forward, wire stretched taut between them. Sakura meanwhile bolted toward Tazuna and took up a defensive stance in front of him, kunai in hand and ready.

The brothers noticed and jumped back to avoid being clotheslined, just the way they had planned it. Dropping the ninja wire, Naruto summoned ten clones and shot towards one of the brothers while Sasuke headed for the other. Their hope was to distract them by forcing them away from each other, thereby stretching their chain out until they went too far and tripped themselves.

Naruto pushed his opponent back into the tree line with a flurry of kicks and punches. But instead of jumping back, he detached and shot his clawed gauntlet straight towards Naruto. The boy leapt to the side-

Only for the gauntlet to swing back around, ensnaring him in the cable.

Fuck!

The demon brother started to reel in the gauntlet, and unfortunately that meant he came with it. He squirmed to try to get out of it, but his arms were stuck.

"Damn it!" He shouted.

"Naruto, duck!"

Naruto didn't even hear who had said it, but using his legs, he pushed against the tree in front of him, performing a semi-successful backflip that ended with him on the ground while a volley of shuriken and kunai sailed above him.

A dull thunk followed. Something toppled over. Then silence.

Naruto took that moment of silence to catch his breath, all the air having been knocked out of him from his ungraceful landing. "Ow," he groaned.

Turning his head to see where the Kiri ninja was, he looked in the direction he presumed he'd landed. In his place he saw a blood-soaked body covered in kunai and shuriken. It wasn't moving.

"Naruto!" Someone was running up to him and grabbing his shoulders, helping to sit him upright. Looking up he saw Kakashi-sensei's worried face. Immediately his sensei started to untangle the cable from the gauntlet, all the while appearing to look him over for injuries.

"I'm fine, sensei," he said, shrugging off the cables once they were sufficiently loosened. Kakashi-sensei made no move to show he'd heard.

"Those were chunin from Kiri," he said instead. "The Demons Brothers, known for their use of poison."

"Well I didn't get cut or anything," he told him. "See?" He held up his hands for emphasis. Kakashi-sensei gave him an unimpressed look for his troubles. Naruto huffed in annoyance before scrambling to his feet, Kakashi-sensei lending a hand to help him.

"Sensei!" He heard Sakura call to them. He looked over to see her rushing toward the tree-line, med-kit out and ready. "Is Naruto hurt?"

"No, we're fine here, Sakura," their sensei said, waving her off. Her shoulders slumped in relief before she turned back to someone else, presumably Sasuke. When Naruto and Kakashi-sensei made it back to the road, Naruto was surprised to see just how gory it was.

This brother's body wasn't as mutilated by weapons as the other's, but it was still gruesome.

"Your first kill, Sasuke," his sensei hummed from his side. "I'm impressed."

Well, Naruto grimaced. From a certain point of view.

"They were after the client," Sasuke said simply, not even phased by his first apparent murder.