Chapter 19: Bragging Rights

Kakashi really should have realized something was up with his genin team when they claimed to know how to tree walk and water walk without him having to teach them. It probably wasn't the standard for most twelve year olds, but he wouldn't know those things, as he made chunin as age six. He also should have been more suspicious when they seemed to all have some mastery over their elemental affinity. But, again, he had no reference for how normal genin progressed because of his odd upbringing.

So it was quite a shock to him when he agreed to sit down for dango and tea with his other jōnin instructors and heard them talking about their own students progress.

First of all, he hadn't expected to take up the offer Kurenai and Asuma offered him, as he never had before. But for some reason he did. Perhaps it was because of his students affect on him. Ever since taking them on, he'd gone out more and read less. Well, that wasn't to say he actually read less, he just didn't do it in public as much. And he'd only been going out because they dragged him along to places like Ichiraku's for lunch. He always seemed to end up paying though, so he wasn't too thrilled about that.

But he digressed. The point was, he had taken his friends up on the offer and was now sitting down in Anko's favorite dango shop "enjoying" some sweets and tea. He'd never really been a fan of sweets though, so he was letting Asuma eat his while he stuck with tea.

"So Kakashi," Kurenai started, setting her cup down. "How has teaching been? This is the first time you've ever taken on a team before."

He offered a shrug in response, not really sure what to say. "You know," he offered half-heartedly. "They're genin."

Kurenai chuckled softly, taking a bite of her dango. "That is true," she managed to say around a mouthful of sweets. For reason this made Asuma laugh. Glancing over at him, Kakashi saw the same sappy look in his eyes that Obito always had when looking at Rin. Oh God. He had it bad for Kurenai. Great, even more drama for him to be involved in. Just what he needed.

"So what have you been up to?" Asuma asked, lighting a cigarette he had clamped between his teeth. "I heard you've been pushing them rather hard with those D-ranks."

"That was last month," he said. "Ever since we got back from Wave it's been nothing but training."

"Oh yeah, I heard about that," Kurenai said. "C-rank turned A-rank. I'm sure that must have been scary for them."

Kakashi shrugged. "Honestly, they handled it just fine." A little too fine, he thought to himself. Then, aloud, added "But still, I want them to be prepared if something like that ever happens again." He didn't need to see his students covered in senbon ever again, or keeling over from chakra exhaustion. He'd already lost enough teammates, thank you.

"Right," Asuma said. "Just don't push them too hard. They are still kids after all." Kakashi rolled his eyes at the reminder. Kids, his ass. They were demons. Demons who wanted nothing more than to make his life a living hell.

"Don't worry, I only train them six days out of seven. They still have a day to rest."

Apparently, this was not the right thing to say.

"Are you crazy?" Kurenai exclaimed, slamming her tea on the table. Both Kakashi and Asuma jumped back in surprise, eyeing the kunoichi wearily. "Six days! That's way too much! They need a day off at least every three days. Four if you stretch it. You're going to burn them out on six!"

Kakashi blinked, taken aback by her sudden outburst. "Um..."

Even Asuma looked a little scared. But the traitor still sided with her, turning to give Kakashi an exasperated look.