Chapter 35: Truth

Kakashi-sensei blinked.

And then blinked again.

"Come again?"

"Uuuh," Naruto tried, staring wide eyed at Sakura. She really did that. She really DID THAT.

"It's true, sensei," the girl insisted, leaning forward. "We can tell you anything."

On either side of her, her teammates were staring wide eyed, unsure what to do. In front of them however, their sensei's eye was narrowed to almost a slit.

"Do tell," he finally ground out.

None of them seemed to know what to say. What on earth should they say? What could they say? Something they shouldn't know that Kakashi-sensei did know. Unfortunately a lot of what they knew, he didn't. Like information about the Uchiha massacre, the akatsuki, Obito, Kaguya, the fourth war... What could they possibly tell him?

"You used to be in Anbu," Sakura suddenly piped up. "You have the tattoo on your shoulder from it."

Kakashi-sensei didn't look convinced by her words. Instead raising an eyebrow in a look of annoyance.

"You could easily have seen it over the past few months. Especially during the Wave mission," he countered. They had been in close quarters for that mission, so to imply that they could have seen it when he was asleep or changing wasn't a stretch.

Frustrated, Sakura let out a growling huff of air, fists balling in anger. Naruto took that as permission to go next.

"Whenever you're late to meetings," he said. "It's because you're in front of the memorial stone. Not because of a black cat or some old lady. "

Kakashi-sensei didn't even seem impressed by that.

"You three easily could have stalked me," he pointed out with dry bitterness. "Easily."

Jeez. They were getting nowhere with him.

"Well fine!" Sakura suddenly cried, eyes burning with determination . "You got your sharingan from Obito Uchiha, and with kamui you can suck things into another dimension!"

This time, their sensei did look shocked.

"How...?" He trailed off, eye widening.

"We all know about what a Mangekyō sharingan is, sensei," Sasuke interjected, taking the man's attention away from his teammate. "Well all know because, well." He closed his eyes for a brief moment, taking a small steadying breathe in. Then his eyes flew open, no longer charcoal black.

Instead they were Mangekyō red. Inverted lotus staring directly at their sensei.

Naruto heard Kakashi-sensei suck in a sharp breath.

"That's not... possible," the jonin breathed.

Letting his sharingan fade away, Sasuke spoke up with, "It is possible. Like Sakura said, we're not actually twelve."

"And we all know you have one as well," Sakura added on. "I don't know how," she continued, ignoring his look of shock. "But somehow your friend gave it to you and since then you unlocked the Mangekyō. Which, frankly," she started to trail off. "I'm a little nervous as to how..."

Kakashi-sensei didn't move. Just stared at them. Naruto could practically see the cogs turning in his mind. Did he believe them yet? Something akin to hope swelled in Naruto's chest. Kakashi-sensei might just believe them now. They weren't alone anymore-

"You could have asked someone," was their sensei's reply. His voice was shaky and faint, but it had conviction. "Gai, or Anko, or..." He trailed off, staring blankly at his students.