Chapter 37: Final Report

Two days later found Kakashi still standing in front of the memorial stone. He had gone home to sleep, of course. But every waking moment he found himself gravitating towards the damned rock. He didn't know what to think, so he came here.

"Hey Minato-sensei, Kushina-san, Obito," he greeted. "I know I've been here a lot for the past few days but..." he looked down at his shoes. "Sensei, Kushina, your son. He's done something unimaginable. Hell, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it." He paused, letting out a long breath before continuing. "I don't know what to do with him. Or any of them for that matter. They say they're from the future, they know things they shouldn't... I can't find any reason not to believe them."

The warm summer breeze rustled through the forest around him. If he tried, he could pretend for a moment that it was his dead sensei and friends giving him reassurance. As it was though, he was an ex-Anbu commander and a jonin sensei. He didn't believe in such nonsense.

"Anyway," he continued, "They said they were releasing Naruto today, so I have to bring them all to Lord Hokage so they can finally give their report. Which was due a week ago." Kakashi heard himself let out a dry laugh. "Guess that makes me like you, Obito. Late with everything."

Again, the only response he got was the wind.

Sighing in defeat, Kakashi let his chin drop to his chest. He was getting nowhere with this. His students needed help and here he was talking to a stone.

He still wasn't sure what to do with them though. Should he go to the hokage with it, or let them keep their cover? On the one hand it would make his life simpler and he wouldn't have to deal with any more headaches. On the other hand they would probably be thrown straight into prison for not coming forward sooner and never let out of sight again.

Decisions, decisions.

Making up his mind, Kakashi straightened up and shoved his hands in his pockets. He had some genin to pick up.

***

When Kakashi-sensei came to pick him up from the hospital, Naruto wasn't really sure what to expect. Anger, frustration, maybe even betrayal. But distant wasn't one of them.

"Come on," his sensei said as soon as Naruto finished signing the release papers. "We have to drop Karin off at your apartment before picking Sakura and Sasuke up."

Oh, right. He had to give his report to the Hokage today. Sakura and Sasuke had probably already figured something out for that. Unfortunately he hadn't been around to hear it. Maybe they could squeeze it in on the way to the tower?

"Okay," Naruto nodded. Turning to his cousin, he asked, "You okay with that?"

Karin offered a nod back. "Sure."

The three left the hospital in uncomfortable silence. Karin knew something had happened between the team and their sensei, but didn't know what. Naruto hadn't offered an explanation, so she hadn't badgered him for one. Naruto knew this and was grateful. He didn't know how he would have explained it to her.

After dropping her off at his apartment (which was looking suspiciously cleaner), they continued on to Sasuke's place.

They didn't expect it to be empty.

"Maybe he's training?" Naruto offered weakly. Kakashi-sensei just snorted.

"He's on bedrest. He's not supposed to even leave the house."

Naruto didn't know what to say to that. Instead, he gave a halfhearted shrug, which didn't really work because of the sling and cast still on his arm.