Chapter 39: Jinchuuriki Predicament

Kakashi was not ready to face the Hokage the next morning, but he had to anyways. He had been called back to discuss the scroll he'd been given a few days prior; the one that had tipped him off about his students. The one Hiruzen suspected of holding hidden information. Since Kakashi hadn't made a report on his findings yet, he had to do so now. And God was he dreading it.

"Kakashi," Hiruzen started, eyeing him with tired eyes. Arresting your student would do that to you, he figured. Though Kakashi had no sympathy to give, considering everything he'd just learned last night.

"What did you find?"

It was moments like these Kakashi was grateful for his mask. "Nothing, Lord Hokage," he lied. "I didn't detect any hidden codes or ciphers with my sharingan."

"So everything in the scroll is authentic?" The third asked in clarification.

Technically... "Yes." Succinct and to the point. And technically not a lie. And even so, the best farce was the one based on truth.

"Good," the Hokage sighed before him. "I'm glad. I wouldn't put it past Orochimaru to have done something like that."

Kakashi remained silent, figuring it best not to add his own musings on the subject. In fact, he had other topics on his mind...

"What of Suna's jinchuuriki?" He asked. Gaara, Naruto has called him. The fifth Kazekage and a good friend. Although he wasn't quite that person yet.

"Arrested earlier this morning," Hiruzen replied levely. "As the second exam ended today and all our information was confirmed, we saw fit to finally put all the Suna and Oto ninja in custody."

Kakashi hummed thoughtfully.

"And his seal?" He asked, referring to the relatively unstable nature of it.

"Taken care of," the Hokage said. "For now."

So a patch job. Or perhaps just more potent chakra dampeners. Either way they would need a more permanent solution. Unfortunately that solution was abroad and writing porn.

"I see," Kakashi said. "Now, if I am no longer needed..."

"Go ahead," Hiruzen dismissed, waving him off. "Your genin probably need you. They've been through quite the ordeal."

Kakashi snorted under his breath as he bowed farewell. "That they have."

***

"We should tell Karin," was the first thing out of Naruto's mouth when his team came to pick him up the next day.

They were all standing in the doorway, waiting on him to get his things so they could head out when he had suggested it. Technically he was also still on bedrest and shouldn't be going anywhere,but with his natural Uzumaki energy and Kurama, he knew it wouldn't take as long as it would for normal people. So he had no qualms about agreeing to a team meeting today. What he was having an issue with though was his house guest. Or more specifically, how he was going to keep such a massive secret from her in the long run.

Ultimately he decided he wouldn't be able to. Which led him to now.

Sakura stared at him, dumbfounded. "No!" She cried. "She barely knows us."

Growling, Naruto stepped outside and shut the door behind him with his good arm, effectively blocking Karin from possibly overhearing their conversation.

"Look, she's family. Family doesn't keep secrets from each other."

"That's rich," Sakura deadpanned, obviously referring to her parents and how they thought she was still twelve. Naruto just rolled his eyes in response.